Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of installed copper air line.

Speaking of installed copper air line.

I guess I should have labeled it PVC Or copper & it would have lots of answers.

I just talked to my plumber about the different ratings of copper pipe K,L,M that we have been talking about here on SMC. He said that the M was plenty heavy enough for home wood shop air plumbing. He has had 120' of M in his shop for years with no one problem.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-17-2006 at 7:43 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

One more try.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Don't really know what your looking for here Bart, your plumber may be right about type "M" being being fine for home use I wouldn't argue the point with him. If it were me however I would use type "L" if for no other reason is that in the few times I have used the "M", it seemed to "dent" rather easily when the "L" didn't and in most home shops you wouldn't be talking no more than 30-50 $ difference at the most. I'm sure others will be able to give the PSI rating to you don't know myself.
    David

My installation will run around the end & 1 side of my shop above cabinets & shelves & only stick out about a foot to get to the hose reel very little chance of it getting hit with anything.

I went with the heavier stuff also. I didn't find the extra cost objectionable, so why not. I'm sure the lighter stuff is fine though.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I did type L. A little heavier and also what I need to use for repairs around the house due to our acidic water...the scraps always come in handy over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm not sure of the proper designations. However, I used the thickest-wall copper that Lowes had on hand. I use it all the time with 120 PSI and no issues.
    I installed them about 2-1/2 years ago. Still work well.
    HTH
    George

bart, and others, i fail to see the reasoning to deviate from the tried-n-true black iron pipe? cost wise it`s just about a wash nowadays and spinning a wrench isn`t much more dificult that using a torch so what`s the allure of using copper or even various forms of plastic? tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Go to the source

The Copper website has the standards for the 3 popular types of copper tubing, types K, L, M. I would not use M for any compressed air applications, as it only provides a safety factor of 2+, whereas type L gives you a factor of 3+. Drawn copper tubing is about half again better than the annealed type.

When we built I specified type L for all water supply lines.
    Best Regards, Ken

I'm waiting for type J to come out....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

K, L, M are all fine

Bart, look at the ratings in the Copper Tube Handbook (see earlier post)- K, L, and M grade are all plenty strong enough in drawn or annealed copper unless you are using a scuba compressor! I think 1/2" of the thin stuff has a working pressure of over 400 psi (depends on temp of course). That is working pressure, burst pressure is even higher. I have used whatever I could get for my last shop and my new shop and run it at 175psi with no problems. Unless your runs are where you might hit it with a hatchet I wouldn't be concerned about the thin-walled stuff denting either. If you do pierce it you'll just get a leak that is easily repaired with a coupling.

How are things up on the rock? What is the status of the NAS with the impending demise of the EA-6B? Are they going to put the EF-18s up there? Will Oak Harbor survive if the Navy pulls out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    The Copper website has the standards for the 3 popular types of copper tubing, types K, L, M. I would not use M for any compressed air applications, as it only provides a safety factor of 2+, whereas type L gives you a factor of 3+. Drawn copper tubing is about half again better than the annealed type.

When we built I specified type L for all water supply lines.
    Ken,
    That's a good reference site ... thanks ...
    Leo

Tod,

The allure of non-ferrous air piping, is IMO, its non-rusting characteristics. I'm with you all the way on ease of cutting, threading, etc. I've installed miles of black pipe at my previous employer.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

I'm going with type M the plumber said his has done fine for years. Mine is all protected by cabinets & shelving accept where it comes out to the hose reel. After all it isn't like type M is just barely enough. I run my system a 125 PSI or less most of the time between 60 psi & 100 PSI. I've never understood the mentality if this is more than enough than 1 to 3 times better in grade or size is going to be even better. Better for what? It won't get the air there any faster & at the temperature it runs at I'll be more than again the strength that I need. Plus I don't have a plumbing supply house handy or anything closer than maybe if I'm lucky 60 miles round trip. We are only talking 30' of pipe at the most. I won't be spraying with it & when I use the sand blaster I'll hook directly to the compressor with a hose & run it outside.

Now if you really want to help me my system will have a hose going up from the compressor to the ceiling & the pipe will go on the ceiling along the wall about 10' straight ahead & make 90 degree turn at the corner to the left & run about 12' to 15' on the ceiling along the wall & make another left out about 3'-4' & hook to the hose reel via another short piece of hose. Where & how do I put a low point drain in this? Its my understanding that a low point drain is or my be the lowest point in the line with a valve to open & expel the water. Is this true? Can someone provide a picture? My copper line will come out over a
    24" deep shelf at the last 90 degree going to the hose reel, but just before that there is a gap between the 2 shelves where I could drop down for a low point drain. I could slope the line as much as 1 foot drop in 12' to between the 2 shelves & then go back up & on to the elbow turning toward the hose reel. Will this work or should I plan on a drain some how just before the compressor hooks to the line?

Sorry if I came across a little gruff!!! But I see this ideology all the time on most forums of if this product will do the job just fine no problems but 2 or 3 times better in grade or size or different color will do the job better. I have a living example in my plumbers shop. I believe in my plumber my experience with him over the years has shown his education & judgment to be sound.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-18-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Bart, can you just put a slight slope on entire run so it will drain back to the comp? that would work fine.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution