Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy to make your acquaintance

Happy to make your acquaintance

Hello,

I'm new to your forum and thought it might be appropriate to introduce myself. I've been reading many posts on this site and I must say how impressed I am with the range of knowledge, level of encouragement, and overall civility of the site. I see work displayed from various skill levels and everyone offers support and constructive comments. Reading through the profiles I find many contemporaries and kindred spirits, but not too many west of the Mississippi! Perhaps I have just not read enough yet!

I’ve also noticed that it is somewhat customary that when someone introduces him or herself that they also offer some of their work as a means of establishing skill level (or lack of as in my case). I am a hobby woodworker with two primary goals for my avocation; first, to be able to reach a skill level that will allow me to build functional and attractive items for my friends and loved ones, and two, to become proficient enough to make a little extra money in retirement (hopefully no more than 10 years down the road).

My shop, through the saint-like understanding of my wonderful wife, is well equipped and occupies a two car garage, sharing that space with the furnace, washer & dryer, and 2nd refrigerator. The pictures below are several years old and some changes have taken place. The Shopsmith is no more, having been sold to help fund the purchase of a drill press, 18” band saw, and disk/belt sanding station - all Rikon. Not visible in the photos are a Hitachi compressor, oscillating spindle sander, and Leigh D4. The bench is an antique which once belonged to one of the master organ builders at the John Wannamaker store in Philadelphia, PA. Solid maple and made in Chicago in the 1920’s. Tucked back in one corner is an Oneida DC with internal filter. The other thing missing from the photos is the layer of sawdust that normally covers everything - I cleaned for 2 days straight to get the shop ready for the pictures - probably why I have not taken any more recent shots!

As there is a 5 picture limit I can't post example of my work here. However, I promise to put some up soon.

Thank you all.

East 1.jpg North.jpg South.jpg West.jpg
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Welcome to the Creek!! Looking forward to seeing some more pics.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Welcome Rennie

Welcome Rennie, there are several locals up by you on the forum, I'm sue they will pop up soon.

Martin,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Love your signature - Paul's my hero!

As requested, here is a sampling of some of my work. The altar furniture is made from Lyptus with rosewood accents. I built these for a recent expansion of our church. The communion kit was a gift to our pastor several years ago.

Rennie

Full Altar.JPG Altar.JPG Font.JPG Pulpit.JPG Com Kit.jpg
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Dan,

Thanks. Im looking forward to hearing from them!

Wecome to the creek, nice shop but it's way to clean and you'r skill level is well beyond that of a beginer, very nice work.

Welcome Rennie.

Nice looking stuff you made for church!

I like the idea of your lumber storage in front of the garage door. When my shop was in the garage (now in basement), that door always seemed like such a waste of 16' of wall space. Does that furnace heat the garage too?

Ever thought of making some wooden Lord of the Rings style items? I've thought about it, but never found the time yet.

Communion Kit

Rennie: Welcome to SMC and hope you enjoy it here. I really liked the idea of a communion kit and may consider one at Xmas for our pastor.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Hi Andy,

Since these pictures were taken I've added a 30,000BTU Modine Hot Dawg - it hangs from the ceiling just above the door to the house. The garage was unheated prior to that. I also picked up a 12,000 BTU window AC at HD a few years ago - end of season sale. I installed that in the wall next to the window.

As for the LOTR stuff - had not given in a lot of thought (there was a plan for some Rivendell style shutters in a recent WW magazine that looked interesting.) Any suggestions?

Rennie

Mike,

Glad you liked the Communion kit idea. I made it to fit (somewhat snugly) into a large bible carry-case. I had a lot of fun searching for unique glasses on ebay. The wafer case (forgot the Latin name) and vial were purchased through a local religious supply store.

Rennie

Thanks Rennie: I will know where to look for all of the accessories.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer
    As for the LOTR stuff - had not given in a lot of thought (there was a plan for some Rivendell style shutters in a recent WW magazine that looked interesting.) Any suggestions?
    Rennie
    Interesting. I'm going to watch the trilogy again to get some ideas--still in the brainstorming phase, and still a beginner woodworker. Here are some interesting pieces: http://www.middleearthfurniture.co.uk/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox
    Interesting. I'm going to watch the trilogy again to get some ideas
    Andy,

Very cool site. Thanks for the link. The LOML and I (she's a big fan too) are planning on sitting through all 3 extended versions on black Friday (day after Thanksgiving). Let me know if you come up with any ideas. I really liked the chest on the site you sent me.

Rennie

Rennie,

Welcome to the creek. It's the best place on the web that I've found to learn and share with fellow woodworkers.

Glad you posted pictures of some of your nice work. Without those, I'd be questioning whether that shop was ever used. It's TOO CLEAN!

- Marty -