Thread: Mini edge sander review

Mini edge sander review

I ordered the Grizzly 0512 Edge Sander with wrap-around table on Monday afternoon. It was at the San Antonio freight terminal Thursday morning...I picked it up Friday morning.

There was a very large hole in the side of the box, but in a place that didn't matter. Aside from the hole, it was well packed with styrofoam.

It comes essentially assembled, only things to do are put on the dust port and the table....which counting reading instructions took about 30 minutes. It comes prewired 220v, but I changed it because I couldn't find the plug I know I have somewhere. Another 10 minutes.

The table is not flat along the length. I suppose that's really not a big deal 98% of the time, but I can see where it could be in certain instances. I'll put some angle iron under it and make it flat. Other than that, it seems to do exactly what an edge sander is supposed to do, and I will use it heavily.

Congratulations on the new tool! Isn't the amp draw at 110 a bit high? I would think it would throw a breaker pretty easily, but I haven't looked at the specs.

Hi Kirk,
    Congrats on the new Griz! I got the 1140 last year and it seems to have the same mechanicals as the 0512, except for maybe the diameter of the end drum. I went to the Bellingham showroom to buy a cyclone and got the 1140 on impulse. I don't recall seeing the 0512 on display because the wrap around table would have seemed like a good idea then. The small table on the 1140 isn't very stable and the diameter of the end drum is too big for the small stuff. How big is the end drum on the 0512 and does the wrap around table seem stable? Also, how close does the platen go toward the end drum(how wide is the sanding surface?) and is there a platen on both sides? I use mine quite often, and I think a good, marketable machine would be an edge/belt sander of this size that oscillates and has an attached oscillating spindle, with multiple sizes, as well. Congrats again. JCB.

Nice machine, KC. One of these days I'll have an edge sander in my shop...shoulda bought one when I got the combo sander as it would have been more appropriate for my needs. (Hindsight is what it is...)

Please revisit this once you use it for awhile and after you flatten the table. It would be good to know how you feel about it after some time passes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim,
    By combo sander are you referring to a belt/disc unit? I found I rarely used the disc component and the 6"x48" belt was effective but limiting by length. The 6"x80" size is much better and now I would like to have an oscillating spindle sander as well. By comparison with Kirk's 0512, the 1140 has a solid CI table for the platen and a small semilunar table for the end drum. I think the wrap around is better, especially if there is a platen on both sides. With the 1140 I have sometimes been limited by the table/platen size when sanding longer pieces. Hope this info helps. JCB.

I think the platen is the same size on the two 6x80 models with the small table, and this one is 1-3/4" longer...which is really the only reason I went with it over the others. I don't think there's a platen on the back side, but honestly I didn't pay attention. Seems like it would be a good idea, if doable. The wraparound table is sturdy enough, but I'm not sure the height adjustment feature is that great, since all the support brackets have to be adjusted as well as the 'wheel' that you see in the catalog pictures. You kind of get the impression that raising the height is a simple matter of turning that wheel.

Some manufacturer out there has a model with changeable, oscillating spindles at the end, because I remember seeing it when I was shopping.

As to the power, I think the book said 10A/220 and 20A/110. I'll put the wiring back to 220 when I move it to the permanent location because I like to keep things the way the manufacturer sends them pre-wired.

KC

If anyone is considering an edge sander, you may want to look at the Bridgewood line. I went with their 3HP 6x108 oscillating machine about 3 years ago and other than the challenges of dust collection I am more than satisfied. Table adjustment is a snap, it has the spindle set, and you can tilt the bed and any angle up to horizontial.

It is by far the most used sander in the shop.

Perry

I have seen the sander KC got without the base (for a couple hundred less) on amazon and have been thinkning of it ever since. I dont have a place around here to see one in person though. It seems like an awful lot of machine to be benchtop mounted to me but maybe some one has seen one?

Looks great KC and please update after a while as I will prolly end up buying that same unit.

thanks. Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

John, yes the belt/disk combo is what I have. Nice machine, but as I stated, an edge sander would have been a better investment in hind-sight. (I have a small OSS and wouldn't give that up...comes in handy a lot!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Congratulations on the new tool! Isn't the amp draw at 110 a bit high? I would think it would throw a breaker pretty easily, but I haven't looked at the specs.
    Motor: 1.5 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, TEFC capacitor start induction, prewired 220V
    20/10 Amps, 60 Hertz cycle, 1725 RPM

Yes, it's pretty high draw on 110. I am sure there will be a conversion when that dang 220 plug is found!