Thread: times: where do they come from?

times: where do they come from?

Are the times shown for when a message was posted from the sender's computer or a product of SMC.
    I ask because this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45314

has times different from mine even though they are in the same time zone. And the two on the thread are in the same time zone also but have different times (hour apart) for posting. Wassup?

I believe that the posting time is the local time of the server in VA.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I believe that the posting time is the local time of the server in VA.
    Jim, that is exactly what I was going to say, but take a look at your post. To me, it says you posted at 2:58 PM. Your view says 3:58 PM, yes???

Well, what is happening is that in the user pofile you can specify what time zone you want the time stamp to display.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 11-03-2006 at 4:09 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Doh!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's my understanding that all times shown are based SMC time (Eastern) but adjusted for each user based on his or her Control Panel settings. This means that if Frank posts at 1PM his time (Central), Mark Singer sees it as being posted at 11 AM his time (Pacific).

It does get really wonky for Guests, though. Log out and see.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    It's my understanding that all times shown are based SMC time (Eastern) but adjusted for each user based on his or her Control Panel settings. This means that if Frank posts at 1PM his time (Central), Mark Singer sees it as being posted at 11 AM his time (Pacific).

It does get really wonky for Guests, though. Log out and see.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    That's correct. What isn't clear to me is whether the Control Panel time zone correction handles Daylight Savings Time correctly. The post times looked wonky to me Sunday until I went into the CP to adjust it...and (I think) it corrected itself when I did. It may all be based on GMT instead of time in Virginia, which really complicates the situation because there's no DST on GMT.

Don't ask.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 11-03-2006 at 7:45 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It seems to work just fine here. I had to mess with my settings a little when IN started in on the DST thing this year. Other than that, it's just a matter of Aaron keeping the clock adjusted--it's been known to be off by 15-20 minutes. (Posted at :27:30 past the hour, according to an atomic clock).

On edit: I guess the system clock is fine right now. The post says 5:27 PM, and that's when I posted.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    It seems to work just fine here. I had to mess with my settings a little when IN started in on the DST thing this year. Other than that, it's just a matter of Aaron keeping the clock adjusted--it's been known to be off by 15-20 minutes. (Posted at :27:30 past the hour, according to an atomic clock).

On edit: I guess the system clock is fine right now. The post says 5:27 PM, and that's when I posted.
    It registered at 4:27. Right now, for me it is 5:15 p.m. CST,

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl

The system time is now updated regularly.

For guests, the default time displayed is in GMT, and all other times on posts are calculated based on your time zone settings in the UserCP.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Cool, Aaron, thanks!

I was trying to be kind with the 15-20 minutes figure...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore