Thread: Big Thank You to Steve Jenkins!

Big Thank You to Steve Jenkins!

To make a long story short, I had a last minute change of plans at work, and was actually able to get to the Dallas BBQ at Steve Jenkin's place.

There was a good crowd there. I saw and met lots of folks that I previously had only known via the net.

Sophie and Dave Smith both came down from Washington state, and should have gotten the award for longest distance traveled.

Larry Hancock was there doing turning demos, and my kids got to each take home a top. (Thanks Larry!)

Dave Arbuckle was there with his Leigh FMT jig, showing people how to do woodworking with a micrometer. He also answered some turning questions for me. Thanks Dave!

Steve was kind enough to let me try out his L-N 4 1/2 smoother, making my smoothing plane choice even more difficult. After a little while, I was getting the hang of smoothing without a cord.

KC Constable brought some mesquite to give away, and I took some home to make Shaker knobs. Thanks KC! (I should have taken a bowl blank, too. On the way home, my daughter says, "Can you make me a bowl for my top, dad?")

If I had not brought my wife and kids, I would have stayed and turned for hours! But I wanted to bring them to show them all the neat people I have met here at Sawmill Creek.

Of couse, my son pulled Steve's better half's name out of the hat when it was time to draw for the grand prize, a Festool sander and dust extractor! I told him to pull my name out! Steve felt a little guilty, so he gave away about 60 bd ft of pecan as a consolation prize.

The roast pig was delicious, there were lots of side dishes to eat and plenty to drink, good fellowship and fun for all concerned. We had a really good time!

Thanks for hosting, Steve!

On to Grumbines next summer!
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 10-26-2003 at 1:32 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Great BBQ!

Martin gave you the details, so let me just add my appreciation to Steve, his brother and all who helped make this event possible. The food was wonderful, the weather cooperated and the company was superb. It was neat to see Steve's huge machines. Steve, you might want to check for rust spots soon, but I think I got all of my drool wiped up. For those of you who couldn't make it, you really missed out.

I did get to stop by Mike Mastin's Curly Wood's new home on the way down Friday evening. Really a nice place and easy to get to. Mike and Frank are hard at work getting racks made to store all that beautiful wood.

Bob

Thumbs up I send that

For those of you within driving distance of Dallas and didn't attend, you missed out!

I for one, had a good time shooting the breeze with people I had only known by threads here and at WC. As said above, the food was excellent, and there was plenty of it. Steve was a perfect host, and made everyone feel welcome. He has power tools that the rest of us can only dream about. Thanks Steve for opening up your shop to everyone.

Can't wait until next year
    Best Regards, Ken

I'll 3rd that!

A big thanks to Steve p had a wonderful time and it was great to meet so many nice folks! Steve - what a shop! Wow!

I was having a great time before - on the very last 'free stuff drawing' - he pulled my name for 60BF of pecan!! Now, what to do with it...but I'll save that for another post.

Again, a big thanks!

Perry

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Schmidt
    A big thanks to Steve p had a wonderful time and it was great to meet so many nice folks! Steve - what a shop! Wow!

I was having a great time before - on the very last 'free stuff drawing' - he pulled my name for 60BF of pecan!! Now, what to do with it...but I'll save that for another post.

Again, a big thanks!

Perry
    A big Thanks to Steve and his brother Mike, A great day and great people, looking forward to next year! Steve