So I've been inticed by the beauty and potential cost savings of making my own jointer infill plane.

See I really don't need a jointer plane right now, but want one. Looked at the LV BUJ and thought about getting an old Stanley #7 or #8 user, but neither of those options has been enough to move me to get one.

Where I work I've a full model shop with full prototype capabilities, usable materials and accommodating friends. At my desk I've full design capabilties in 3d design at my desk via CATIA V5.

So the questions I have (for now) are:

I've seen some infills with no cap iron and a fairly thick blade. This appeals to me as I'm not fond of setting cap irons (bad experience with a modern stanley). What are the "rules" for infills sans cap irons?

Second is what is a good bed/blade angle for a jointer? I'd want to use it on both face and edge planing. I know the LV BUJ comes with a lower angle blade, but I don't know if that is significant. I'm thinking to just use a york pitch and be done with it, maybe making a second blade with a suitable back bevel for less cooperative wood.

3rd is from my limited research most infills bed the iron on the wooden rear tote which is pinned to the sides. Something about this doesn't sit right with me and makes me want to incoporate a steel bed pinned to the sides. Someone talk me out of this with some good logic.

Thanks
bob