Thread: Demo in Towson MD

Demo in Towson MD

Greetings all

I will be doing an all day woodturning demonstration at the Towson MD Woodcraft store on Saturday, Dec. 9th. Towson is just north of Baltimore. This demo is free and open to the public. I'm not sure what I will be turning yet, but it will be wood of some sort. So if you have some time and want to stop by and say hello, watch for a while, heckle me, or whatever, I will look forward to seeing you there! Directions to the store can be found on the Woodcraft site.

Bill

nice signature

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine

Hmmm....Towson MD. Maybe Susan would like to go see her Mom in Hagerstown next weekend. I dunno, there's lots of work to do, but it sure would be great to see you.

Sweet! I work right down from there and often frequent that store.

Looks like I know what I'll be doing that day.

What kind of items are you planning on demoing?

Bob

Hi guys

Mark, I will look for you if you can make it.

Bob, I am not sure, but I usually turn something from wet wood, just to keep the dust down, and it usually amounts to various kinds of bowls. As pretty as hollow forms are, watching someone turn one is about as exciting as watching grass grow or paint dry. I might do some spindle work if I find the right kind of wood for it. I'll look forward to meeting you there!

Bill

Bill, I'll have to disagree with you a little bit. On one hand, watching most people turn a hollow form is about like watching paint dry (I've done plenty of that in my career). However, Stuart Mortimer has some very interesting techniques such that he is able to hollow a vessel in quite short order. Rather than use the typical scraper-style hollower, he uses gouges with long flutes to help eject the chips. There was also something about where he started inside to help with chip ejection after he drilled a hole down the center. I saw him do a demo at a WoodWorks show several years ago. 'Twas fascinating.
    Have fun demo-ing!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

If it's just a hollow form demo piece, why not drill a few amply sized holes in the walls after the shape is formed. When it's spinning again, folks will magically develop xray vision.
    Only the Blue Roads

Bill,

I'll be there ! what time ?

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Keith, I am planning on getting there around 9:30 AM or so, and staying until about 4:00 - 4:30 PM. I will look forward to seeing you there!

Andy, I suppose I could demo a hollow form, but people like bowls, and I can do them a lot faster, so people can see the whole thing take shape in a matter of a few minutes. They also connect with the concept of a bowl faster than a hollow form. Hollow forms that cannot be handled are the same whether they are 1/8" thick or practially solid. It is the outside form that counts, and from that point of view, any spindle turning is worthwhile doing.

Jason, I can hollow pretty fast on certain lathes, but not the one I will be using on Saturday! It is a decent machine, but not one that is able to keep up with me.

Bill

Bill,

Great to meet you ! I really enjoyed the demo and the information. I look forward to seeing more of the natural edge sushi plates !

for those who missed it, I got there about noon thirty and his demo was underway with Bill finishing a natural edge bowl. Then proceeded to watch Bill turn a hunk of limb (oh yeah I'm making me some of those) into what I coined as sushi plates, it was very interesting to see 'non-turnable' wood (or at least that's common perspective) into a very nice form. Then he chucked up a large piece of walnut and proceeded to stop the jet lathe he was turning cold. He decided to shower everyone with shavings (which was CLEARLY intentional) Demo's shear cuts and what he calls a tangent cut (ummm Bill for the record I was told there would be no math on this demo.) And even though my daughter looked bored (she's 13 so she is required by teenage girl code to look bored at things like this) she talked about the demo and all the chips shooting everywhere all the way home.

All in all a great time, Bill is an informative and entertaining speaker and truly knows his trade. Can't wait to see you back sometime.

Thanks for sharing your talent,

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 12-10-2006 at 12:43 AM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Sounds like you had a great time Keith!
    Was you in the front row?
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel