Thread: electric chainsaw

Question electric chainsaw

What is a good Electric chainsaw.
    I have XL Homelight Gas and its is just great, but it is now a bit heavy for me (age 65) and it is great for the buckingup of the tree but after that ,when back home with the wood .
    The logs(or sections) must be further cut into bowl blanks.
    This is where i would lik a Electric Chainsaw do mainly because of the weight and no pull starting.
    Start square and you will finish square

Mine is a 16" Remmington that I bought online a few years ago. It is great to have around the shop, although I'll admit I also used it recently to take down a small ornamental tree during my deck demolition (as well as cut off the 4x4 posts...). It's a nice compliment to my gas powered Stihl which I wouldn't even use in the shop. I know it wasn't expensive, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Remington 16" too. Don't use it much, but when I do, it performs well. Didn't like the chain that it came with...so I replaced it right off. Nice balance and light weight.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have the 16" Remington and like it a lot.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I also have a 16" Remington that I bought for the sole purpose of when I need to cut something when I'm working late at night and don't want to wake up the neighbors. It works ok but among electrics, I would rate it as average, not good.

I don't know your budget or full intent, but if you're serious about doing alot of work with an electric and using it to replace some of the function of a gas saw, take a look at the Stihl electrics (or some of the other well known brands). The MSE 220 is well built for an electric with thermal overload, magnesium crankcase, and automatic oiling but probably weighs about the same as your XL at 11 lbs. So, the 180 or 140 might be a better choice if wieght is your main concern.

One final note (and this may not be a concern for you), but if you believe in wearing PPE clothing (kevlar - chaps, shirts, jackets, etc) with your gas saw, you should be aware that these are rendered ineffective against accidents with electric saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid
    One final note (and this may not be a concern for you), but if you believe in wearing PPE clothing (kevlar - chaps, shirts, jackets, etc) with your gas saw, you should be aware that these are rendered ineffective against accidents with electric saws.
    Brad,

Why would this be? Serious question here. I only have a gas saw and don't use all the kevlar stuff but to me it seems its purpose is to prevent cutting from the chain and wether gas or electric it does not seem like it would make a difference.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

I suspect they would be less effective, as you try and stall an electric motor the torque increases, so the nylon fluff thats pulled from the chaps may not stall the electric saw as quickly.
    With a gas saw the torque reduces as the saw is slowed and the clutch disengages quickly.

Ian

Another vote for the 16" Remington. I have used one in my shop for a couple of years. Out of the box it would hardly cut cardboard but a quick sharpening cured that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I have a Remington 16" too. Didn't like the chain that it came with...so I replaced it right off. Nice balance and light weight.
    Which chain did you replace it with? And where did you find it?
    Found out that going to the Borg looking for a ripping chain for an electric was a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck
    Brad,

Why would this be? Serious question here. I only have a gas saw and don't use all the kevlar stuff but to me it seems its purpose is to prevent cutting from the chain and wether gas or electric it does not seem like it would make a difference.
    Curtis,
    PPE clothing isn't designed to prevent the teeth of the chain from cutting. The Kevlar (or other various materials inside the chaps) are very fine and stringy. When a chain cuts through the outer Nylon shell of the chaps, the teeth grab the fine stringy hairs of material and pull them into the clutch effectively jamming the clutch. Electric chainsaws don't have a clutch. They simply have an electric motor driving a reduction gearbox driving the sprocket. There is nothing for the kevlar to jam up.

edit: PS: The intent of PPE Clothing is not necessarily to completely prevent getting cut by a chain, but more to prevent severe injury or death (loss of an arm, leg, cutting an artery, etc.).
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 12-29-2006 at 11:07 AM.

Thumbs up Electric chainsaw

Hi:
    I want to thank everyone for thier input on my electric chainsaw post.

I did buy the Remington 16" 3.5 saw and at first before trying it i still had some reservations, but soon was surprised with the preformance of this (electric) chainsaw.
    Thankyou again.
    Start square and you will finish square