Thread: Ferrule material

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ferrule material

i've had my sorby's for about 5 years now and they've had some pretty heavy use, but today i noticed the ferrule was loose on my bowl gouge. after closer inspection there's a long crack down the handle. seperated pretty easy with finger pressure. pretty close call i guess.
    my question is. what's everyone's favored ferrule material? i've reead different threads related to copper tubing, 3/4" i believe. can i round the edge of the copper with my hss tools?
    one more......... does the ferrule need to be a super tight fit? i've searched and read some links in threads here on smc mentioning heating the handle and applying the ferrule.

thanx all!
    brad

ps, glad to be posting again! building a house will kill your internet time! lol
    cya!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Hi Brad,

I am assuming that by ferrule you mean the ring of metal around the base of the tool where it meets the wooden handle. I don't think it will make a lot of difference but, copper is softer than brass.

I use scrap copper pipe from my "plumbing do-dads" box...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Copper pipe is what I use as well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Brad....I've also read of people using brass gas fittings and turning them with their HSS wood turning tools to make a ferrule.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like the brass look so I normally buy a brass nipple from the big box and use part of for the ferrule. This way I can get a thick ferrule.

If you like a bit darker, more antiqueky look, you can use a bronze bearing/bushing - available in the little drawers at most decent hardware stores. The advantage is they have wall thickness of nearly 1/8", so you can turn a radius on the outer corner, instead of trying to roll over the copper pipe. They also add a bit of extra weight in the center of the tool, which I like. I have used these successfully many times; not one has ever come loose.

You can warm the bushing up to expand it and put it on the wooden handle that is at room temp - or even chilled. Turn the tenon a bit fat, and the cooling bushing will compress for a great tight fit. Just keep the bushing temp below about 400F, so you don't scorch the wood putting it on.

You are in luck Brad, 'nother reason to go to the hardware store. Find the plumbing section, and start looking for anything that might work. You will be amazed at what you will find.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I have a friend who cuts his from a piece of EMT (thin wall conduit).
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

To answer the part of your Q about turning metal, yes, with caution and scraper type HSS tools, you can turn copper, aluminum and brass on a wood lathe. Brass is hardest. I use copper coupler type fittings, the edge is already round enough.