Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Drill/Driver do you use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question What Drill/Driver do you use?

My current "grey" 9.6v drill/driver seems to be slowly biting the dust and the vendor has been less than helpful in getting it repaired since they have moved on to bigger and supposedly better models. First it was one of the batteries, now it appears to be the charger. I can't buy the batteries any longer and the price to replace/repair the charger is about half the cost of a new one.

So, I'm considering adding a item to the Christmas list. However, Santa is really picky around here and wants to know exactly what I want so there are no mistakes (appearently he sends Mrs. Claus shopping). I'm not particularly interesting in how many 6" lag bolts a drill can drive into hard maple; my wrist will fall off first. The same goes for the number of holes with a 3" forstner bit; that's what the big hunking Milwalkee with a power cord is for. I liked the 9.6V drill because it was balanced well, had good low speed control, plenty of torque, and the all important one handed chuck.

The Panasonic 12V and 15V units seem to be around the right weight and have faired well in a couple or reviews. I'm a bit concerned about grating sound the chuck makes when being tightened. Why does it do that and when will whatever it is wear out? I do have the habit of grabing the chuck and using the drill motor to tighten/loosen the chuck (I'm sure no one else here does that ) I haven't demoed any others yet in the stores. The current crop of "grey" ones is off my list. (Why go down that road again? 2-3 years from now they will just be discontinued.)

So, if you use this type of drill, which one is it. What's good/bad about it?

TIA,
    Ed

I use Blue(makita), with the NiMH batteries. great life and flexibility. not sure why you'd stick anything into keeping an old one going. Like mine because of the keyless chuck, and other things that batteries can run. I have a small blower vac that is handy for cleanup in the shop and blowing grass clippings off the drive and walk. I have had mine for four years without any problems.

My choice is the DeWalt 9.6V. I have had it for a couple of years and really like it for home shop use. It is well balanced and light enough that I don't mind using it. I don't need any more power than it has for shop use. If I was doing heavy construction it would be too light and weak, but home shop, fine.

George

Ed. So far I've been happy with the Dewalt series of cordless drills, they seem to balance well in my hands, and like you I have plenty of bigger corded drills to handle heavier drilling that would just eat up a battery pack. I bought another 12v Dewalt drill to complement the Dewalt I already owned and be able to swap batteries back and forth. I was faced with the same dilema you're presently in, when the batteries for my old drill would no longer hold a charge. So I bought the new Dewalt with the same battery rating. I find it odd that I can buy a new drill with two batteries and a charger in a new carrying case for only $40.00 more than replacing the batteries at retail pricing.The one negative comment I have about the new Dewalt is that the when the chuck is fully closed there is still a "gap" that prevents using smaller drill bits. Now that I have two cordless drills I find It very convenient to not have to swap the drill bit and the driver bit back and forth during projects.

I have an 18V Makita. It came as part of a set with their battery powered circular saw and flashlight for $150. It was a Costco clearance. I really like the drill. It is doesn't feel all that heavy, but then again I don't use it for hours at any one time.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

One Word

ONE LITTLE WORD:
    * *DEWALT * *
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

My current driver is a Dewalt 14.4 XRP and I really like it. I also have an older PC 14.4 that is servicable, but doesn't "feel" as good as the Dewalt. I feel that the 14.4 (and 15v Panasonic) size is a nice compromize between the brute force and high weight of the 18v and 24v units and the lower duty cycle of smaller tools for the woodworking shop, although the 12v units are quite servicable. This is just personal preference and your needs may be different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love my DeWalt 18v XRP...best drill I've ever owned. It's not inexpensive, however...just under $300, but worth every penny IMHO.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say 'stay with gray.' My preference is for a 12v or 14.4v Porter-Cable. I've got one of each.

They've been very reliable, and the 12v has even survived a fall off a ladder, and one from a roof.

They've build a large deck - driving literally a thousand 3½" deck screws, and although they're a bit 'battered' looking they continue to function like new.

BTW, I prefer the 12v or 14.4v over the bigger stuff mainly because they feel more balanced to me. I also prefer the lighter 12v model when working overhead. An extra pound of battery makes a big difference after the first hundred or so overhead screws. ;-)

Like Jim, I also have a DeWalt 14.4 XRP. Like it a lot. I've had it for 2 or 3 years without a problem.
    Dan McLaughlin

Hi Ed,

basically, I use two cordless drills, a 7.2 V Makita and a 12 V Festool. The Makita is quite powerful for such a small and light tool but the Festool is my favorite. Still not too heavy but much more torque and power. I use the CDD type which has a unique design. The best thing about this drill are the right angle and the eccentric attachment. You are able to drill and drive in any tight spaces with them.

Regards,

Christian Aufreiter, Austria
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a Porter Cable 14.4 v and a DeWalt 14 v right angle
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Hi Ed,

basically, I use two cordless drills, a 7.2 V Makita and a 12 V Festool. The Makita is quite powerful for such a small and light tool but the Festool is my favorite. Still not too heavy but much more torque and power. I use the CDD type which has a unique design. The best thing about this drill are the right angle and the eccentric attachment. You are able to drill and drive in any tight spaces with them.

Regards,

Christian Aufreiter, Austria
    Hey Christian, two questions: 1) Do you have about every single tool Festool puts out?! (I admit...I too am a big fan!) 2) Is there a specific reason you chose the CDD over the regular pistol grip? Just curious, more than anything...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have had several different makes of Cordless Drills. I have an OLD Makita 9.6 that has been to the "wall" and back, and keeps on ticking. I recently bought a Makita 14.4 "M-Force" unit at the Depot.......mostly because they had the drill on Closeout, and the price was just too good to pass up. The M-Force is a great drill so far, a bit heavy, but it has great power, good balance and very good battery life. I also have a 12V Ryobi that is a great drill for drilling, is lightweight, but can't hold a candle to any other 12V drill I have ever had my hands on. I use the Ryobi almost exclusively at the work bench, drilling small holes, and running screws that don't require much "Grunt", because grunt is what it lacks. At work, I have had a 12V Dewalt drill that was used daily, and it lasted about 3 years before it just gave out. The Dewalt had been thru the mill, and it held up much better than I ever though it would. I currently have a Milwaukee 14.4 at work, and it is a great drill also...............I would rate it on the same scale as the Dewalt. Overall, my impression of Cordless Drills is based on the "Ya get what you pay for" scale. The low end of the price scale will not give you what you may demand in a Cordless Drill..............so if you want a good, reliable unit with good torque, battery life and longevity, you have to pay the price.

That would make me the odd man out,,, I use a Craftsman 18volt. It has done every thing I've needed it to including drilling a 1/2 spade bit through many 4 x 4's between battery changes. Again at the time it was the only thing I knew of. And now that I know of others, I'm still not sure I'd go any different. Then again the Panasonic got some excellent reviews.