Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bio of a Sawmill Creek noob

Bio of a Sawmill Creek noob

I'm pretty new to these boards, so I thought I would post a quick bio for anyone who cares about such things.

I live in Denver, Colorado, with my wife and a golden retriever named Libby. She was kind enough to allow me to use her photo for my avatar (my dog, not my wife.) In case you are wondering, in the photo she has a potato in her mouth.

I am 39 years old, "nearly ancient" as my neighbor's kids would say, but I'm sure I'm right in the middle around here . I've been woodworking for about 10 years. It all started when I was shopping for furniture and said, "I can either spend $3,000 on furniture, or spend it on tools and make all the furniture I want!" Now, ten years and at least $12,000 later, my wife is still wondering when "the real furniture" is going to start showing up.

I spent several years working part time at my local Woodcraft, and I continue to work there as an instructor. I learned a whole lot about woodworking there, probably more than I would have just hiding out in my shop.

My real job is in sales for a Pathology company. There is a priceless look on people's faces when I tell them I sell prostate biopsies. Actually, I sell the pathologists' interpretations on the biopsies, and a whole lot of other stuff that would bore you to tears (unless you happen to be a gynecologist, urologist, or dermatologist. In that case, I'll give you my card.)

I used to love the Badger Pond forums, and I was a semi-regular poster there. After it shut down I sort of wandered around, lurking in a few forums but never making the committment. Then I found you.

Eric
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Welcome Eric

My wife is wondering the same thing about me and when I am going to start making real furniture. I keep telling her patience, patience my dear. Although I was never on Badger Pond and never heard of it until people have made reference to it here, I am new here and will tell you what you already know. This place is a great hang out with a lot of talented, unselfish woodworkers who have no issues about sharing info. No problems that I've run into since I signed up on New Years Day. Nice, polite people, period. Enjoy your stay friend!

Dave

p.s. And yes, that's an interesting occupation you have there .
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong
    It all started when I was shopping for furniture and said, "I can either spend $3,000 on furniture, or spend it on tools and make all the furniture I want!" Now, ten years and at least $12,000 later, my wife is still wondering when "the real furniture" is going to start showing up.
    You too, huh?
    Welcome.
    -Rob

Welcome to Sawmill Creek Eric. I'm sure you'll recognize more than a few names from the Badger Pond days.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Eric!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Welcome to the Creek Eric.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Hello Eric. I seem to remember you from Badger Pond days. Welcome to SMC.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Welcome to the Creek Eric!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome to the 'Creek, Eric! And note that Badger Pond going to the "great forum cemetery in the Ether" was a major force in the establishment of SMC...

Which "end" of the Denver area do you live in? 'Creeker visits happen, you know...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome aboard, Eric. Rule number 1, Pictures. Rule number 2, more pictures. Great dog, but why a potato in Colorado? Was he really born in Idaho?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Welcome to the 'Creek, Eric! And note that Badger Pond going to the "great forum cemetery in the Ether" was a major force in the establishment of SMC...

Which "end" of the Denver area do you live in? 'Creeker visits happen, you know...
    I live in Highlands Ranch, a large suburb on the south side of Denver. Any 'Creekers who want a visit are welcome! My shop's a mess, but I love to share it and talk the talk.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass
    Welcome aboard, Eric. Rule number 1, Pictures. Rule number 2, more pictures. Great dog, but why a potato in Colorado? Was he really born in Idaho?
    She picks up anything I drop and carries it around like her latest toy. Then she carries it out in the yard and rolls on it. Potato, tomato, live field mouse, tennis balls....
    Eric in Denver

OK Paul, here's a picture of a table I did about a year and half ago, Thomas Moser design....Not sure how to put in pictures, let's see if this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric in Denver

Eric, Welcome. I like your sense of humor...Nice work on the DR table
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong
    I live in Highlands Ranch, a large suburb on the south side of Denver. Any 'Creekers who want a visit are welcome! My shop's a mess, but I love to share it and talk the talk.
    Excellent. My business phone number is actually in Highlands Ranch...but rings an IP phone here in PA. I have a woodworking coworker in your neighborhood as well as an "adoption friend" family. I'll put you on my list for a visit next time I have some freedom to roam when in the area...my visits are generally up in Westminster, but outside of rush hour, it's not a bad trek. Good food down your way, too...

Oh, an many of my own projects are Moser designs or Moser insprired. Between Thos Moser and George Nakashima...I have lots of good ideas to play with!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...