Thread: 12", 10", Powermatic, Grizzly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. [quote=Jim Becker]
    You get the riving knife with the G0605x, but also have a 1" arbor only. (The G5959Z has two arbor choices...5/8" for 10" blades and 1" for 12" blades) Of the two saws, however, I think the new G0605X is the better machine. But it's about the same cost as the PM2K in general and the PM has better dust collection.
    quote]

Actually, Jim, the G0605X comes with both arbors (5/8" and 1"). That info was missed from the 2007 catalog so it is not widely known. Also this saw features dust collection at the blade which captures a lot of the dust as the shroud wraps around the blade.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0605X/images/5
    Also, the buyer needs to figure in the fact that the G0605X comes with side and rear extension tables complete with shelves for storage.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0605X/images/3

Going back to the original discussion about the G5959 12" table saw - I have had this saw in my shop for several years and have always run it with a zero clearance insert. I don't see the issue about being too close to the edge. Must be an optical illusion.

On the matter of the 12" versus a 10". Here's my take on it: I run a very thin kerf blade on my saw, together with blade stabilizers. The blade stablizers reduce your effective cutting height because of their diameter. They will either stick out above the table or hit the bottom of your blade insert when raised too high. So you lose cutting height that you gained by going to a 12", but still have as much as a 10".

On the matter of saw power. I have had a 3 H.P. (G1023 series) saw in my shop for more than 15 years. I also work with 8/4 bubinga and other exotic woods. On many occassions, I had issues of being able to power through cuts because of the 3 H.P. That issue went away when I went to the 5 H.P. Kinda like a V-8 versus a V-6. The V-6 will get you over the hills, but the V-8 will "flatten" those hills!
    I still have the 10", but have a permanent dado blade set up on it. Speaking of dado blades - we also offer a 10" set with a 1" hole for those 12" saws, so one does not have to change out the arbor to use a dado set.
    Last edited by Shiraz Balolia; 02-22-2007 at 2:39 PM.

Thanks for the features clarification, Shiraz...I was basing my comments on what was on the site that I saw (quickly viewing...) in the descriptions and missed the DC shroud. I think it's important that your web-master get the alternate arbor information up there, too, on the new saw as it could be a deal breaker for some.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I think it's important that your web-master get the alternate arbor information up there, too, on the new saw as it could be a deal breaker for some.
    Absolutely right.