Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toward a metric to-morrow

Toward a metric to-morrow

Here is a picture of a metric ruler emblazoned with the slogan "Toward a metric tomorrow", that was distributed free by the US Air Force in the 1970's as a recruiting tool. What went wrong? How disillusioned all those bright-eyed recruits must be now to find that the metric tomorrow never arrived.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Dundas; 02-23-2007 at 11:57 PM.

We do have Metric to a limited extent. Pretty much any automobile.
    Otherwise, it went the way of Esperanza.

Stealth implementation

I've recently purchased 2 pieces of equipment, Rikon Band Saw & Ridgid MSUV. Both have metric fasteners. Imported equipment used to use what appeared to be metric heads but SAE threads. The newer stuff is metric heads and metric threads. At least that's the way it looks.

You mean Esperanto
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

We'll all be speaking metric soon - we don't manufacture anything anymore. He who writes the music, calls the next tune.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Metric is going to be the only system of measurement permitted when we get to the new paperless society!

In addition to automotive and aviation, metric is alive and well in research and the medical community. It's all around us, but the general public...generally...avoids it. My second grader is learning metric/inch conversions "as we speak"...

I'm actually toying with trying to do a project completely in metric given my slider fence has both scales and my Festool stuff only has metric markings. In my copious free time, of course...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-24-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just wish they'd hurry up and go one way or another, I've had two set of tools for many years dealing with some metric, some not and its getting boring, not to mention expensive.
    Al

What's interesting is to see the difference in tooling and raw stock pricing in this country. You can buy a fractional size endmill for a certain price, but the metric equivalent is usually about double the price. The same goes for raw barstock of most materials. The metric stuff is much more expensive. I find that decimal inch works just fine for smaller stuff but can easily convert metric stuff to inch if I have to.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    In addition to automotive and aviation, metric is alive and well in research and the medical community. It's all around us, but the general public...generally...avoids it. My second grader is learning metric/inch conversions "as we speak"...

I'm actually toying with trying to do a project completely in metric given my slider fence has both scales and my Festool stuff only has metric markings. In my copious free time, of course...
    Hi Jim

Aviation isn't metric, at least the General Aviation stuff. GA uses AN sized fasteners. I'm not a mechanic and am not sure of the relationship, but I think that system uses x/16ths or x/32nds. i.e. AN 8 would be 8/32 or 1/4". I don't know how Airbus, Daussault etc. work.

Curt

No Metrics for me, I don't buy metric fasteners and try not to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten

I'd do the same if I could, but when working on the laser, I have to use both standard and metric allen wrenches.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten

It's also hard to find those metric Crescent wrenches.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Quote Originally Posted by David Dundas
    What went wrong?
    What went wrong is that the ruler is metric on one side and inch (the size of three barley corns or the king's thumb, depending on who you ask) on the other side. If we just went cold turkey we'd adjust in a week. Instead years later we're still teaching kids to convert and losing productivity and competitiveness.

Does anyone else in the world want to buy American products which use a different system of measurement than the rest of the entire world?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

It's a conspiracy to make us all buy more tools.