Thread: black walnut kitchen island

black walnut kitchen island

I have just finished having a solid black walnut kitcken center island built in my home.I actually cut this huge tree down myself,stacked and stickered the wood for 5 years,air dried it and hired a great finish carpanter to build it for me.It is over 20' long, 4' wide,has raised panels on the back,doors and really turned out to be something to see.My question is how to finish it correctlly as it it will be used daily and have food preperation done on it(not directly on it...).I believe the finish should go "in" to the wood and not "on"to it as it would for a piece of "furniture"in,say a living room where it was protected.At the same time I want this piece to have as much of a "wow factor" as I can...
    I'm not looking for gloss at all.Our home is 1880 and so the finish should be satin at best I feel but still show off as much of the crotch wood and burl that I tried so hard to build into the visible parts of the island.I am thinking a tung oil maybe and possibly polymerized?,or maybe the base that is more protected with something different and the top with tung?.My research has only confused me more and I assume I only get ine shot at this!
    Lastly,I am in Norwalk Ct and if anyone knows of someone near me that may be willing to take this on and show me soome of their work I would appreciate it.I have a considerable amount of other new work to be stained/finished as well.Thanks.Jordan Grant,Norwalk Ct

Tell me a little more. Does the black walnut form the countertop for this island, or is it in the cabinetry and paneling under a countertop of granite or the like? Sounds like it is both--is that right?

Tung oil isn't really a good choice, but their are other materials that would have a similar look.

I do know one Connecticut finisher who would be very capable of handling such a job. I have seen some of his work on very high end interiors. I don't know how open he would be for a Norwalk job--I suspect it would depend on the job, nor do I have any idea about his fee levels. Give me a Private Message and I can give you some contact info.