Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapering legs - need some help

Tapering legs - need some help

I'm working on a pair of night stands with tapered legs and could really use some help on cutting the tapers. I'm still very new at this - this is only my second project - but this seems like a basic operation that I should be able to do correctly. The night stand can be seen here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H9609/images. The legs are 1.5" square with tapers on two sides. The tapers are supposed to begin 7 inches up from the bottom of the legs and finish so that the bottom of the legs are 1" square. I made a tapering jig for the table saw based on the one in Norm's first book.

I've laid out the taper on the leg, lined the cut line up with the miter slot, then positioned the fence so that the cut line is lined up with the saw blade. What's happening is where the saw blade enters the workpiece I'm getting a rounded cut instead of a straight line to start the taper. I'm not sure if this is clear so I've drawn an example of what I'm talking about. The darker freehand lines show the results I'm getting. This is a problem because the table aprons attach just above the tapers.

I'm using 8/4 cherry, which is some of the nicest wood I've ever worked with, it's such a shame to be wasting it. I've already ruined two legs. At this point I'm thinking of trying to cut the tapers on the bandsaw and using my sanding center to clean up the faces. Sure would be nice though to be able to do this on the tablesaw like most others seem to be able to do.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

here's an Idea

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it's worked for me in the past when I've had the same problem. I think of the TS as a machine that roughs out a taper, and your block plane refines it. Depending on how bad the rounding over is you may have a lot of plane work to do, but I haven't found a table leg that couldn't be resurected by some creative planing.

Good luck to you

Brian,

I used a band saw and made a jig. These photos should help to explain.

These tapers go from 1.5" square legs to a 3/4" square end.....the taper is no the inside of the legs.

Hope this helps....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like Roy's approach. There was also a thread a while back about a video our own Alan Turner did for FWW magazine. In it he presents a really neat jig to do tapers on the table saw. It is on their web site. Here's the thread...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45516
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

I don't know that this would fix it or not, I guess it is more of a question for others, but I wonder if your blade should be higher.

For short tapers I've settled on using a block plane. Depending on the amount of wood to be removed I sometimes use a BS to hog off a lot of wood then use the block plane.

Brian,

sorry to hear this is giving you a headache. I can't talk to the table saw solution, but have used another approach that may work for you. I am pretty new to all this, and feeling my way through- so take this as an idea that I found pretty easy to do when I saw it explained. Rather than using the TS, I cut the tapers (2 sides) on an entrance table I am currently working on, using my jointer. I followed the instructions described in a couple of magazines recently. I can only lay my hands on one at the moment- Fine Woodworking Oct 2006 (issue 186), page 78/9. I ended up taking a smaller cut than they suggest and doing more passes, but that allowed me to sneak up on the line nicely. A few seconds touch up with a hand plane at the end saw the transition from straight to angled nicely finished off. Not a direct answer to your question, but an alternate route I found easy to set up and get to work pretty much first time.

best of luck, and let me know if you want more detail on the process I used

all the best

Mike

little as I know about these techniques, I'd likely take that same type of jig you had for the saw, or possibly the same jig itself, and try it on the router table with a straight bit. You might want to rough it out freehand on the band saw first.

Cheap hinged tapering jig you can pick up at Rockler, bandsaw and a smooth plane. Thats how I did it last time. The post is here somewhere.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thanks to all for the replies. I just joined FWW so I'll be checking out Alan Turner's video. They also seem to have several articles on the subject.

Mike Heaney - I saw at least one website explaining the jointer method, I'm going to look into that further - I really like the idea of being able to sneak up on the lay out line.

Barry Beech - I thought the same about the blade maybe needing to be higher. I raised it to full height to no avail - same problem.

Roy Wall - thanks for posting the pics - those are very helpful. I tried freehanding it on the bs and my skills aren't there yet. I need to use a jig if I'm going to taper that way.

Question on using the block plane - If I rough out the taper on the bs or jointer and then do some touch up witht he block plane I assume that I should be moving the plane down the incline formed by the roughed out taper and not up the incline - is that correct??

Many, many thanks - I'm feeling encouraged to get back in the shop now that I'm equipped with several potential solutions.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas
    The tapers are supposed to begin 7 inches up from the bottom of the legs
    Try making the taper 5 or 6 inches up instead. Then you can sand the roundover (make it less noticable) and not worry about being so close to the apron where it shows.

Many, many thanks - I'm feeling encouraged to get back in the shop now that I'm equipped with several potential solutions.
    Brian
    Brian, I would add that you should practice on your scrap legs before trying it on the real piece.

Pete

Question on using the block plane - If I rough out the taper on the bs or jointer and then do some touch up witht he block plane I assume that I should be moving the plane down the incline formed by the roughed out taper and not up the incline - is that correct??

Brian

Yes - a simple jig will keep you straight - its the most accurate way to cut a taper.

Brian - not necessarily...you need to plane WITH the grain. I used a smooth plane #4 after I cut these on the band saw. The band saw cut was about a 1/16" proud of the line....then smoothed to it using a plane.

To read the grain: look at the board from the side, see the grain going one way or another.... Imagine the grain is the hair of a cat (stay with me now ) - and you want to pet the cat (please..keep reading ).

You don't pet the cat against the grain.....so in the same way you should plane the wood. Go WITH the grain. Practice on a scrap board to learn to "read the grain".

YOu can do this - keep at it..its fun!

I use a taper jig on the TS, then go to the jointer to make flat and true.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Here kitty, kitty. Roy - thanks for the chuckle and the encouragement - I needed both. I think I understand you. I want to read the grain when planing the same as when using a jointer - the way I've heard it described is you want to joint "downhill".

Thanks again all. I will definitely be practicing on some scrap pieces - especially now that I have made lots of them.

Brian