Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High angle frog?

That particular old saying refers to an old television game show called the $64 thousand Dollar Question. Contesants worked their way up through questions of lesser dollar value until they answered wrong and were eliminated or went on to get to the......yup, you get the idea. Hence the expression.

As a cynical note, it was determined later that the show was rigged and it was eventually pulled off the air.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks Dave. Nice tools btw.
    -Ryan C.

Dave is exactly correct, I had forgotten all about that. If I remember correctly (and obviously that doesn't happen often) I believe that the contestant that had been portrayed to have won for several weeks came clean when he was eventually lost.

Ron Brese

I guess we should apologize to Terry for hijacking his thread.

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something about that on VH1 or something the likes of that. Yeah, you're right...Sorry Terry.
    -Ryan C.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cathey View Post
    Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something about that on VH1 or something the likes of that. Yeah, you're right...Sorry Terry.
    The movie was called "Quiz Show" and you can see a bit about it here (Internet Movie Database).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ah Ha! I'm not crazy I reeeally did see something about it. Oh well, I have alot of time to become crazy just yet. Thanks Mike.
    -Ryan C.

I don't think that Tom pulls in as much as you might think. He reinvests heavily in his business and he treats his employees well. Even with expansion he strives never to have to lay anyone off. Labor is expensive and so are his raw materials. I'm sure he could sell out to Irwin and make a ton but that's not why he's in it.

The cost of metals has gone up tremendously in the past few years. I'm not aware that Tom has ever increased his prices -- that continues to amaze me. I don't know how he does it. The prices he charges are fair for the quality and precision that you get. He might be comfortable but I'd bet he's not rich.

$64,000 Question / $100,000 Pyramid

Wow, this dates me but I'll answer anyway . . .

The term "$64,000 question" is tied to an old game show called the $64,000 Question -- I thought it was the $64,000 pyramid. I'm sure the reference is old and dated. People use it but many are not sure where it originates.
    Last edited by David Marcus Brown; 04-30-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: correcting a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by David Marcus Brown View Post
    I don't think that Tom pulls in as much as you might think. He reinvests heavily in his business and he treats his employees well. Even with expansion he strives never to have to lay anyone off. Labor is expensive and so are his raw materials...
    I leave the guessing of LN's and Tom's personal worth to others.

If one goes to Fine Woodworking dot com and views the video interview with TLN they did at the 25th anniversary, pay attention to the machinery you see. It is mega-bucks equipment. Tom does strive to improve processes and machinery--but not at the expense of the people working with him.

Just wanted to reiterate what Dave said above.

Take care, Mike
    back to 213 emails left to answer...

It's really refreshing to hear of a business man like that. Just curious Mike, do you make all the saws yourself or do you employ a bunch of people?
    -Ryan C.

Hi Ryan--it's me and two of my sons.

Well, and my wife--she has to put up with us making a mess in her home. Right now there is about 600' of steel coils in the dining room and 50 some 6' brass rectangular bars leaning against the stairway...2000 boxes in the downstairs bathroom--another 1000 shipping boxes in the office...and, well, she's got the toughest job.

Take care, Mike

Sounds like my room! lol. I think I might finally manage to get my very own "Wenzloff" this Christmas...only time will tell. Anyways keep up the good work...the good family operated work
    -Ryan C.

I realize that the pondering of Tom Lie-Nielsen's income was just good natured curiosity... and we've gotten way off topic here... but I can't resist.

It's my sincerest hope that Tom is making a very generous income. He had the business savvy recognize a blooming niche market and he continues to further help develop this market-- even to the extent of helping potential competitors develop their businesses! He also sells high quality products, offers great customer service, and has a strong commitment to his domestic workforce. In my book, he is the type of businessman who should be well rewarded for his efforts.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson View Post
    ...It's my sincerest hope that Tom is making a very generous income. He had the business savvy recognize a blooming niche market and he continues to further help develop this market-- even to the extent of helping potential competitors develop their businesses! ...
    And I would be one of those he is helping.

TLN called me last November and invited me to participate in a couple of the west coast shows he is doing. The first of which is fast approaching outside of Portland, Oregon.

It is a very beneficent gesture for Tom to invite me to come and demonstrate and sell our wares. It will be a high-point for me.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K Wenzloff View Post
    And I would be one of those he is helping.

TLN called me last November and invited me to participate in a couple of the west coast shows he is doing. The first of which is fast approaching outside of Portland, Oregon.

It is a very beneficent gesture for Tom to invite me to come and demonstrate and sell our wares. It will be a high-point for me.

Take care, Mike
    My guess is that Tom is smart enough to have figured out that he doesn't need to convince a potential customer to buy a LN dovetail saw instead of a Wenzloff dovetail saw. He's much better off convincing that same customer to buy a couple of Wenzloff saws, a set of LN bevel edge chisels, a #4 1/2, a miter plane, and maybe a pair of skew block planes instead of a new plasma TV.