Thread: Router table dust collection plans???

Router table dust collection plans???

I'm planning on building a dust collection "box" for my extension table mounted router.
    I already have a port on the fence so I'm set there.
    My plan now is to create a box of some type that mounts over the router and I'm interested if anyone has done this (I'm sure there are).
    My idea is to create a "box" with a 4" port on one side and a door on the other (for access to the router).
    I will use latches to attach the box to the underside of the extension table and use weatherstripping to get a decent seal between the box and the table.
    If anyone has any ideas (or better yet, photo's) I'd appreciate it.
    thanks,
    Jeff

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=sawstop

This thread might help - scroll down about half way through the pictures

This is the one I am going to incorporate in my setup. Looks to be the most effective...joe
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41187

Cool

I bought a router table fence from Hartville tools - it comes with a plastic piece that attaches to the rear of the fence. A standard 2 1/2" vac hose fits perfectly. The only problem is that 90% of the dust falls into the chamber that the router hangs in. I'll be adding a 4" hose to this area next. You can look up the Hartville Tool dust collector fitting there. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

I did pretty much what you describe but I mounted the enclosure to the frame that supported my extension table. My table was 7/8 MDF with a support frame under it. I was surprised that after about a year I developed a sag in the table. To look at the support frame you would never think that would happen.

I changed to a router cabinet that stands on the floor and is built up to the extension table. It is still attached like a wing but my small enclosure grew into a full blown cabinet.

The small enclosure as you describe worked great for me and I would probably still have it if I had either built support legs to the floor or to the saw body to prevent the sag.

It is probably overkill for your situation (especially if you want to stay mobile) but mine is here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...6&d=1167872154

Not visible in the pic due to the angle are the 1 1/2" x 1 3/4" ribs supporting the table surface in various positions, especially around the plate hole.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-08-2007 at 10:43 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made the setup that Joe references and it is very easy to make and the DC is excellent.

In the post Joe made reference to, do you use the fence dust collection too? I only have a small d.c. and would prefer just one attachment point. As it is, I only use d.c. at the fence, and it collects maybe 50% at best.

I've got a dust gorilla so I use a 4" port under the table and a 2.5" port in the fence. You really need both ports to do a good job. If I had a smaller DC then I would use 2 ports of 2.5" each.

Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic