Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Built Router Table

Shop Built Router Table

After debating for a while whether to buy or build a router table, I finally deceided that the self-built option better suited my needs. A flat top, stable base, easy bit changes, and good dust collection were my priorities. Many of the ideas that I incorporated into the design were from Pat Warner's books and website. At some point in the future, I'll need to build a better fence. I'm open to suggestions on fence designs...
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Thanks for looking.

Dan

Nice work, Dan..Looks good. Enjoy
    Jerry

Nice job and I am sure it will serve you well!

corey

Blog Entries
    That's a lot better use than I've put some of my old dumb bells to. Looks like a very workable table. Very nice work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

vari speed control?

Any plans for variable speed control?
    If yes, where can you get a good unit?
    I burned out 2 (super cheapos) building my kitched cabinets.
    Looking for a better one.

thanks,
    brett w
    ps, you table looks great !

Dan,

Great job. That top is going to remain flat for a long, long time.

Your were talking about a better fence and I was wondering, since you used some of Pat Warner's ideas, why not build his adjustable fence. I got the plans for it somewhere but I cannot remember if it was from Pat or somewhere else. If you want to build that fence and cannot find the plans send me a message and I will look into it and see if I can figure out where I got them. I have not built it yet but it looks like a great fence.

Brett, I do not know anything about the speed controls as I am using a Mil 5625. I am using a foot operated on/off switch that I got from MLCS and it seems pretty good. Have you tried one of theirs? Probably that is where you got the ones that distructed.

Allen

Dan,

That is great, nice and sturdy. Is it baltic birch ply? Real nice dust collection design as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by brett widenhouse
    Any plans for variable speed control?
    If yes, where can you get a good unit?
    I burned out 2 (super cheapos) building my kitched cabinets.
    Looking for a better one.

thanks,
    brett w
    ps, you table looks great !
    Thanks to all for the comments!

Brett, I don't have any plans to add a variable speed controller-- the router in the table is a 5-speed. So far, that's all the speed control I've needed...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Dan,

Great job. That top is going to remain flat for a long, long time.

Your were talking about a better fence and I was wondering, since you used some of Pat Warner's ideas, why not build his adjustable fence. I got the plans for it somewhere but I cannot remember if it was from Pat or somewhere else. If you want to build that fence and cannot find the plans send me a message and I will look into it and see if I can figure out where I got them. I have not built it yet but it looks like a great fence.

Brett, I do not know anything about the speed controls as I am using a Mil 5625. I am using a foot operated on/off switch that I got from MLCS and it seems pretty good. Have you tried one of theirs? Probably that is where you got the ones that distructed.

Allen
    Allen, I've had my eye on Pat's fence design, too. Looks like it would be time consuming to build, but well worth the effort. When you get a chance to get yours built, be sure to post some pics.

Dan

That looks like a great table....use it well
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich
    Dan,

That is great, nice and sturdy. Is it baltic birch ply? Real nice dust collection design as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Pete
    Yup, it is 3/4" baltic birch laminated to double thickness. In hindsight, using the baltic birch for the legs was more trouble than it was worth. I think dimensional lumber would have been stable enough, and fitting the joinery would have easier.

Dan

Table top flatness Question

Dan

Very nice table! I've been thinking of making something like this along the lines of Pat Warner's comments. Did you do anything special in order to maximize flatness of the table top? I've been wondering about the best way to do it...assemble the frame for the top and then add the top, or do it all at once and clamp upside down to a flat surface...what do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Grant

Hi Dan,

How does the dust control work? If that is efficient, then think about a "tap" for the fence too.

I used a combo of Pat Warner's and Bill Hylton's fences. Kind of a high tech and HEAVY/bulky combo, but I think it is worth it. My pics are already here, but I can show some other views.

Can you hit that switch with your knee? I wish I had located mine that way. Several, many many, times I've wished for hands free off.

It looks really good.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    After debating for a while whether to buy or build a router table, I finally deceided that the self-built option better suited my needs. A flat top, stable base, easy bit changes, and good dust collection were my priorities. Many of the ideas that I incorporated into the design were from Pat Warner's books and website. At some point in the future, I'll need to build a better fence. I'm open to suggestions on fence designs...
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Thanks for looking.

Dan

Dan, is the tabletop of MDF? I have used that for my router table but I am wondering whether I should glue some wood onto the edges to protect it.

Very nice HOMEMADE Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Thanks for looking.

Dan
    That ought to meet your needs for years to come. Like the vacuum plenum you built into the table too. How well does it work?
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!