Thread: curly cherry or cherry crotch

curly cherry or cherry crotch

I'm looking for an internet retailer where I can get very high figure cherry. I'm going to be building a large set of cabinets and would like them to be high figure.

Can anyone help me out here?

Hearne?, Curly Maple? West Penn? Groffs?

Looking for the best possible resource, not concerned about cost.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Irion lumber if price is not a concern.

Give www.westpennhardwoods.com a call I bet they have some.

Bob

http://www.curlymaple.com

They have cherry also.

I would say Hearne - his inventory, especially cherry, is amazing.

West Penn should have some. Rocky had two lifts of "fancy" cherry less than a month ago. A lot of curly cherry in it. No idea what he retails it for.

I recently was doing the same search. Cherry crotch isn't the most stable and it's hard to get "enough" to do a large project using re-sawn solid stock for panels. So for the continuation of my projects, I bought some cherry crotch veneer from Rosebud Veneer (also sells on EBay). They were the only place I could find with feather crotch veneer that was large enough for my needs.

For figured cherry, there are many sources already listed here. I generally buy from Hearne; I'd like to buy from Irion, but they have a 200 bd ft minimum which is a bit much for figured stock for me. But if they were closer, I'd make the trip! Incredible stuff there from someone who knows cherry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hearne and Irion

Jim is right. Both places are amazing and if you ever have a chance to visit they are worth the trip. I have personally visited both places and I would have to give the nod to Irion for Cherry and Maple. Both have fantastic selection and Hearne has everything you could ever imagine.

Last fall I went to Hearne and they had an some truly amazing stuff. I purchased a purpleheart board that was 18 inches wide and perfectly flat.

Bottom line is you won't go wrong with either one.

Jim:

Is your cabinet done you were working on for the cherry crotch? I remember reading the post, don't recall seeing the finished panel, would love to see how it turned out.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I recently was doing the same search. Cherry crotch isn't the most stable and it's hard to get "enough" to do a large project using re-sawn solid stock for panels. So for the continuation of my projects, I bought some cherry crotch veneer from Rosebud Veneer (also sells on EBay). They were the only place I could find with feather crotch veneer that was large enough for my needs.

For figured cherry, there are many sources already listed here. I generally buy from Hearne; I'd like to buy from Irion, but they have a 200 bd ft minimum which is a bit much for figured stock for me. But if they were closer, I'd make the trip! Incredible stuff there from someone who knows cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Thornton View Post
    Is your cabinet done you were working on for the cherry crotch? I remember reading the post, don't recall seeing the finished panel, would love to see how it turned out.
    The first one used solid crotch that I re-sawed for the panels...which was a very scary process. The next two are in carcass construction which I hope to get back to this coming weekend.

First one:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792

Current Project:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56649
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...