James,

I visited the web site you referenced in your post. The price seems very reasonable for such a high powered CO2 laser but I'm not at all sure about a laser kit. It could be that these are the best value going but it might be real tough to build it, shake out the bugs or problems and at the same time test your software and learn to use the machine. If someone had a lot of experience it might make perfect sense. I keep remembering my first month with my laser and I had my hands full just learning to use the software and get the dang machine to do anything that I wanted it to do.

When I decided to purchase a laser I went with a major vendor just because I knew that my lack of experience might be a problem getting started. I also knew that I had very few resources for information that I could trust. Unlike most woodworking tools there are still very few laser engravers used in workshops and very few people who can provide advice. This is one of the reasons that I started the Laser Woodworking forum. It won't be long before we have a dozen people who are laser owners and can share our experience just like the other forums here at the Creek.

I've only purchased one laser engraver, not enough for me to give but so much advice at this point. I have tried unsuccessfully to schedule a visit to a Universal dealer in Fredricksburg Virginia, each time something comes up. The last time it was lots of engraving work

Visit every vendor you plan to consider purchasing any equipment from and make them put the machine through it's paces while you watch. Better yet take a few of your own projects, things that you plan to do with your laser when you get it, the dealer should be more than happy to engrave your samples. A real world test is still the only way you will feel comfortable with any machine you are considering purchasing.

Call me, an hour on the phone will save you a lot of time. I will openly share with you anything I have learned to do and what not to do, especially in the marketing area. Send me a private message and I will provide my cell phone number.

Here is the short list of all of our active members who own lasers;

Keith Outten
Steve Krim
George Skinner
Ken Nelsen

Nick Silva owns a Universal laser but hasn't visited SMC in months. Nick posted some beautiful pictures of his work in this forum awhile back.