The Project
I am building a cockpit table for a boat and using an unusual combination of woods; a glue up of 2-inch wide strips of quarter/rift sawn white ash with 1/4 inch mahogany strips in between. The table has one 12 inch by 24 inch with two fold-out leaves 6inch x 24 inch. The table will get a lot of harsh use; exposed to severe climate changes, on occasion get wet from rain, and will no doubt have a few drinks spilt on it.

My experience with finishes
I have never been satisfied with the durability of spar varnish finishes in harsh marine environments however I have had excellent results using multiple coats (10) of tung oil (LeeValley brand) on a teak/holly boat floor with great durability and repels moisture well. I also have a lot of experience with epoxy for FRP lay up and adhesive repairs but never as a finish.

My questions

To reduce the risk of cracking from expansion in the severe moisture-changing environment I plan on first completed finishing each piece before hardware attachment.
Thoughts on this strategy?

What are your thoughts on an epoxy vs. the multiple coat (10) tung oil finish mentioned above.

What is a good epoxy finish brand/product?

What other finishes would you consider?

Thanks,

Ben