Thread: Walnut for Cutting Board

Walnut for Cutting Board

Had a question wheather you could use walnut for a cutting board. I thought it was toxic

Ed

It'll be fine.

KC

The quick answer is walnut is fine for a cutting board. A little longer answer is walnut, mostly the roots giving off some substance, is toxic to some plants and horses. It's taken us 5 years to figure out what will grow under our black walnut tree. A very long and technical answer is all over the internet.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thumbs up Article Help

Hi Ed,
    You might want to check out the article Mike Schwing wrote about making a really nice cutting board out of walnut and maple. It's very well done...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/2/

Keith

Ed, I made one of Mike's walnut/maple boards and have been using it for over a year now. No problems, and the LOML is allergic to everything.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

I have used walnut/maple cutting boards for years. No problem, except that walnut when cut gives off dark colored specks (looks like small grain pepper) that is more noticeable than light colored maple.

Ed,

I've now made about a half dozen cutting boards using Mike Schwing's approach. All have had walnut as one of the woods and all have been finished with walnut oil from the local health food store. The walnut oil does a great job, is inexpensive and is easily renewed with another coat.

Walnut oil is sold to be used directly on salads and cooking and is food-safe even in its liquid state. That said, there are a few individuals who have allergies to some type of nut so it is conceivable that they could react to the walnut oil. However, when used as a finish on a cutting board, I can't imagine they would have a reaction no matter how acute their alergy.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb