Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will not purchase at Lowes

Will not purchase at Lowes

I’ve decided that Lowes has nothing I want to buy. This because in the last some months I have seen many Lowes TV commercials and every single one posits a male that is whipped, weak, sniveling, cowardly, and subordinate.

I don’t desire to waste my money on people who insult me as an avocation.

If I were buying a pickup truck right now, this type of thinking would prohibit me from buying a Chevy.

I absolutely can't stand the John Cougar Mellencamp ads. Especially the one where it says, "This is our Blueprint" and the guy is intently studying an anvil. Exactly what is he trying to figure out?

There are very few commercials that don't annoy me.

If I made my decisions based on advertising, I'd be a Geico customer. Those cavemen crack me up.

Fortunately, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I’ve decided that Lowes has nothing I want to buy. This because in the last some months I have seen many Lowes TV commercials and every single one posits a male that is whipped, weak, sniveling, cowardly, and subordinate.

I hate those commercials. The white heterosexual male seems to be in the gunsights of almost everyone these days. Its insulting.

Yep, you'll become a girly man if you shop there.
    Jay St. Peter

I always thought that all these companies were trying to appeal to the female buyers, capitalizing on the male bashing of the TV programs these days, but they seem to have gone too far and if more people act like Cliff it will backfire on them. Hopefully soon.

I too will make my buying decisions without regard to advertising. I prefer using factual review data and recommendations from people I know.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    The white heterosexual male seems to be in the gunsights of almost everyone these days.
    Thank goodness us white males still have all the power.
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 05-29-2007 at 6:15 PM. Reason: to make humor clear
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Thank goodness us white males still have all the power.
    Yea, we got the power....but who has the control?

Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    If I made my decisions based on advertising, I'd be a Geico customer. Those cavemen crack me up.
    Even better would be an ad where a couple of the cavemen stand around with clubs, taking turns whomping the snot out of that annoying lizard.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hain View Post
    If I were buying a pickup truck right now, this type of thinking would prohibit me from buying a Chevy.

I absolutely can't stand the John Cougar Mellencamp ads. Especially the one where it says, "This is our Blueprint" and the guy is intently studying an anvil. Exactly what is he trying to figure out?

If it is the same guy, how to clean up the blood spill after his wife nags him to go to Lowe's for her honey do's.

That said, I know they are aimed elsewhere, I don't spend much time at all watching tv.

What commercials?

Matt, who loves his Tivo

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    What commercials?

Matt, who loves his Tivo
    Matt,
    Amen!!!!!
    David B

Where ever you buy stuff don't be expecting me to pass judgment on you. After all, honest people can differ.

The misconception that I see in the posts in this thread that articulate purchasing based on facts not advertisements is simply that it's not the advertisement content relating to products that offends, but rather the corporate policy of making males into buffoons in order to sell to women that offends me.

It is corporate policy that is at the heart of my discontent with the company.

If a person is un-offended by a company that chooses quite deliberately to label people by gender in such a negative way then fine - buy their products. There is no intellectual dishonesty.

Probably also there is no intellectual dishonesty if a person's income is so low or has so many demands on it that the person simply must purchase at the lowest price and the company with the offending policy is selling at the lower price.

If, however, one believes that such negative depictions are wrong and one is able to purchase elsewhere, then purchasing at Lowes fails to obtain the high ground of intellectual honesty.

ERGO: I won't buy their stuff. They have nothing I need so desperately that I'll take the slap in the face while I hand them my money.

If, however, one believes that such negative depictions are wrong and one is able to purchase elsewhere, then purchasing at Lowes fails to obtain the high ground of intellectual honesty.
    Thank you Cliff, An excellent point and a way of thinking which we should apply to all of our decisions.
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 05-30-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: too <> to
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I've never seen male-bashing ads from my local lumberyard...they don't need to advertise.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.