Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it better to store Hardwoods vertical or flat?

Blog Entries

Is it better to store Hardwoods vertical or flat?

I was watching David Marks the other day and I thought he said you should store Hardwoods flat. I'd like some opinions on this subject please.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

flat

I store mine flat, as does the lumber yard where I buy it. HD stores theirs vertically, and you won't find a straight piece in the place.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Grant Said It All

Not an authority. that's my take.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Hi Bill, ditto that, we store our wood flat, too. Seems to control any warpage better. Jude

Bill,

I just went to vertical to save space. I only did this after months of research. I will generally have 300 ~ 400 bf on hand and do not want to ruin it. There are a number of threads here on SMC dealing with this issue as well as many others on the internet. Seems to me there are a number of high quality woodworkers that swear by this method. Just like storing flat you need to pay attention to how it is stacked, if not truly vertical it will probably warp, if not stickered correctly stacked flat, same thing happens. Since I've just gone to this method I will probably be able to tell you in a few weeks. So far after 2 weeks no ill effects.

Rick

Both are just fine...as long as you give the material proper support. Leaning a board up against the wall is NOT an example of proper support. You still need to build something if you want to go vertical that holds the board in the same plane so it cannot bend. If you have the headroom for good vertical storage, it's a very nice way to do things...and sometimes much easier to sort through for "that particular piece" you're looking for. Alas, I only have 8' ceilings...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw what I think was the same David Marks show. I recall him saying wood should be stored flat until it's good and dry. He said once the wood is dry, it's OK to store it vertically to conserve space.

There's a local hardwood store in my town where they store most of their wood vertically. As Jim mentioned, the wood is supported at the back to keep it from bending. This store carries some very expensive woods. I doubt they'd risk ruining it if there was any risk with storing it vertically.

I didn't hear DJM recommend to store hardwood flat and would be surprised if he did so. The episode where he showed his wood storage building (an old barn) showed all of his wood stored vertically. In his original shop, Krenov also stored his vertically, some for as long as seven years.

Also, lumber yards and home centers are not a gauge of how best to store wood because they move their stock so quickly.

I've been to hardwood dealers that stored it both ways, sometimes in the same building so it probably makes little difference as long as it's adequately supported.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Paxton Hardwoods as well as Schutte here in KC stores theirs vertically albeit with good support. The key as others have mentioned is that it must be well supported. I store it both ways in my shop. 10'sidewall to 16' peaks. I store it flat and stickered when first brought in and as it has acclimated will move it to vertical if i need the space.

With vertical storage one other thing to bear in mind is to keep the ends of the boards off the floor.... same with storing sheet goods.
    I store boards horizontal & sheets vertical... I have to in order to be able to work in the garage shop I have, for now anyway.
    Sticker & stack the boards and they are fine. If it's dry there's no need to wieght the top IMO....

Greg

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Hi Jack!!

Store in climate controlled enviroment or ok to change with the seasons .
    Have a covered shed with a great storage wall.
    I understand about climatizing the wood before working it.

TIA
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Both are just fine...as long as you give the material proper support.

Can someone give me an example of proper support for vertical boards?
    Thanks

Storing Lumber

I work for a company in the public warehousing and trucking business in the port of Baltimore. Over the years we've handled literally boatloads of lumber. I've never seen lumber stored any other way but flat and banded together tight. This approach reduces warping, cuping, etc. We used to have a lumber company from northern Pennsylvania who used to ship several hundred container loads of hardwood a year overseas. Again, the lumber was shipped laid flat and tightly together.

Mine is flat. Takes up too much room to stand it up, and sorting would be a hassle I would think

That's what the "Wood Doctor" - Gene Wengert is saying

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...orizontal.html

niki