Thread: Freedom Pens, What Do You Think?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am not a turner, and I have no extra cash for pen kits.

However, if you need wood - I got it.

Tell me the dimensions you need, how many, and where to send them. If you want to specify flavors of wood, I'll see what I can do.

(No, you can't have bubinga )

Here are your choices:

red oak
    walnut
    limited supply of curly soft maple
    cherry
    poplar (probably not wanted, but hey)
    antique reclaimed heart pine
    white oak
    live oak
    MDF (just kidding)
    vertical grain doug fir
    eastern red cedar
    birdseye white pine (probably too soft)
    pitch pine (also probably too soft)
    black tupelo
    black gum
    elm
    sweet gum
    pecan
    mesquite
    pear (very little)
    spruce
    myrtle
    mulberry
    mahogany

And probably some others I have forgotten about.

Let me know. I'll ship to one location only, cheapest method available. Todd

Kits and wood

I would also accept kits to make and donate. I am just getting started with the pens. I could also donate some wood cut to size. It would, though, be common species with some fruitwood (apple or peach) thrown in. Also, on ebay there are slimline kits for $1.70 each with cheap shipping, sounds like a good price to me.
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP

Count me in, too! This is an awesome thought!

I hope that I will be able to make as many as I'd like too, but like others, funds are tight and I would accept any style kits from those that don't turn (as long as it's a European or slimline).

Todd- elm, walnut, mesquite, mulberry, myrtle plus some others would be good for blanks. Just cut them 3/4" x 3/4" x 6"- that will work for most of the kits out there.

Keith,
    Thanks for having a heart to serve those that serve us!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I just got off the phone with my wood supplier and told him about our efforts. He has agreed to save the rippings for me next week. I told him maple, mahogany, walnut, cherry and any other premium hardwood that they are processing. I'll get them for free. I told him I would start with a pickup-load, random lengths from 8' to 16'. Some may be up to 1½" wide and up to 2" thick (if they are processing 8/4).

Score!!! Now, I need a place to send them, or you all can come get them. (Sure wish I had a stock feeder now..., and a tiger stop...)

Can these be band-sawn? Do they need to be 4-sided smooth? I would think band-sawn and rough would be OK for all you excellent turners out there.

Todd .

Great idea on contacting wood suppliers Todd, I will be working on that this weekend. I have discussed this idea with co-workers and my Family members, and everyone has commented on what a wonderful idea this is. I have enlisted the help of SWMBO and my kids, and we are gonna be some turnin' fools this weekend. I have been trying to get my wife turning more Pens for a while now, and she is pumped for this project. So, while she turns, I will be assembling. I have a bunch already turned that I was offering for sale at my various outlets, but that will have to wait.........these are going to our Service Men and Women who are doing a thankless job, and doing it well, so that we can enjoy a safe and free America. Who knows where this will lead, but I'll bet some friendships are kindled through our kindness. Keith, my hat's off to you and Ken for this outstanding idea..............those early morning chats must be when you guys do your best work! I will get the Jet Mini spinning, and send a batch the first of the week. God Bless America, our Sawmill Creek Members & Families and our Service Men and Women!

Todd,

No need to make them smooth, a BS should be just fine as long as they stay about 3/4" x 3/4" x 6". They're just going to be turned down so the blank surface will disappear anyway. The blanks will be cut to size to meet the needs of each pen kit so being of absolutely uniform size is not necessary.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Wow!

The email is flying tonight! Lots of people are all gearing up for this program. Ken Salisbury is working up some numbers for us and will post later tonight or early in the morning.

Tom Sweeney has registered the FreedomPens.us domain name and has volunteered to do a quick web design and Aaron will create a new Freedom Pens Forum here at the Creek later tonight. We will tie the new web pages to the new forum as quick as possible.

Ken has some very solid ideas for the program that he will be sharing very soon, we will all benefit from the Old Rebels marketing expertise
    Ken is also brainstorming ways that non-turners can get involved more efficiently by connecting turners with those who want to contribute in their own way. Lots of really good ideas are coming from this thread so keep your thoughts flowing right here. We are reading every message every hour. Ken and a few others have already mentioned newspapers, radio and television exposure for our worthy cause.

Tuesday I will contact a couple of politicians in my area to see what kind of support they might be able to provide. I also know a couple of business people who could be very helpful as well.

I have lots of black walnut scraps that I will prep for blanks if anyone needs them, I think I can also provide ash, alder and some maple blanks that are all kiln dried by me I will be glad to ship them to anyone who can use the material. I will cut the blanks 3/4" square by 6" long. The walnut came from Colonial Williamburg.

Wow!

Feeling overwhelmed yet, Keith? Perhaps exhiliratingly overwhelmed?!

I am interested in how a non-turner can help...looking forward to it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Just a thought here, but if we're gonna do this pen thing (which I think is an AWESOME idea), I thought that the soldiers might like a slice of Americana in the form of the wood being all native to the U.S., so I was thinking of using walnut, cherry, oak, whatever U.S. species I have or can get ahold of.

Oh, yeah, my commitment for now is for 10 pens, but if I end up with more time in the weeks/months to come I will probably do more then.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

What an absolutely outstanding idea!!!! However, I am not a turner either. How can I help?

Hey Todd Burch - I would be happy to pay the shipping for the stock you got donated. Barring that, if I can help in any other way just let me know.

Waymon...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I just got off the phone with my wood supplier and told him about our efforts. He has agreed to save the rippings for me next week. I told him maple, mahogany, walnut, cherry and any other premium hardwood that they are processing. I'll get them for free. I told him I would start with a pickup-load, random lengths from 8' to 16'. Some may be up to 1½" wide and up to 2" thick (if they are processing 8/4).

Score!!! Now, I need a place to send them, or you all can come get them. (Sure wish I had a stock feeder now..., and a tiger stop...)

Can these be band-sawn? Do they need to be 4-sided smooth? I would think band-sawn and rough would be OK for all you excellent turners out there.

Todd .
    Todd....send me some....I'm ordering 20 pen kits to add to what I already have onhand and I need some more stock for pen blanks. 3/4" by 3/4" by 6" is perfect. If you don't want to cut it up....just send however you want and I will get it done.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dang, I'm out of ammo already! I just finished off the last eight kits I had on hand (2 FT American and 2 Streamlined 7mm from Berea plus 4 Father Sing from CSU). Well, to be truthful, one other kit didn't survive the experience. Looks like I'll be calling Berea in the morning.

Keith, I'll ship these eight to you first thing on Monday. Do you have any special packing or shipping instructions now that you've had a chance to think about it?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I will help out any non turner by making some pens if they would like to sponser me for the kits. I will also be sending a few east next week i dont know how many i will be able to do financialy as i am currently unemployed but i do have the time avalible and i will do my share. As a vetran myself i know what it feels like to get anything from home in the mail, it brightens up the gloomiest of days.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Count me "in"! LOTS going on here at home, but I will get some together and send them your way. Awesome idea, guys!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Kent,

Untill we investigate the sleaves Ken Salisbury mentioned in his post you can ship your pens to us anyway you prefer. I would like to have each pen rolled up in a 8.5" by 11" piece of paper with the name, city and state of the donor.

I will transfer all of the pens we receive to one cubic foot boxes for shipping with the appropriate packing.