Keith and I talked about this idea bright and early this morning (5:00am) and we decided it would be a great thing for Saw Mill Creek to get started.

I believe it will really go over good and I have some thoughts on the subject after nearly a full day of thinking about it. Some of my thoughts are as follows and may answer some of the questions already asked today.

** I believe the program will be more than just one stab at getting 1000's of pens and make one big shipment to the troops. I believe it should be an ongoing thing to give some people (like the non-turners) time to figure out a way to provide some pens.

** I personally will have a shipment ready to go to the central point (Hampton Roads) next week.

** Maybe some of the penturners would be willing to accept kits/blanks from those who do not make pens, make a few for them to donate. If you are not a pen turner - get a SMC buddy, or a non creeker for that matter, who is and work out an arrangement for him/her to turn some for ya. I am sure there are folks who would be willing to do that.

** I thought about getting a large purchase of kits at a discount however after refecting on that, by the time you get em - send them to whoever wants some of them the packaging and shiping costs quickly evaporates the money you save on the kits.

** I will be able to make some for other folks since I have about 200 FT American kits and a 100 or so slimline kits on hand. Of course I can't make em for every non turner but will take on a few.

** If you want to buy kits for someone else to make you should contact that person to find out what type kits he/she has bushing sets for. Berea Hardwoods is the best source (IMHO) to purchase kits. Also remember to supply pen blanks also. E-Bay is a good source for pen blanks.

** We shouldn't get in a big rush since I believe this program will really grow to the point we will be overwhelmed with responses not only from SMC members but other woodworkers who only lurk here. Besides "hast makes waste"

** my plan is to either donate or make for others to donate pens on a continuing basis all year long.

I am sure as we proceed along - particulars on "how to" participate will solidify.

I have drafted a brief note to include with each pen I donate. I think a personal touch would be important to the recipient. I think everyone should consider enclosing a note albeit brief.

MORE TO COME AS TIME PASSES i