Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know I'm gonna get alot of flack for this, but......................

I know I'm gonna get alot of flack for this, but......................

When making a bandsaw purchase, why do I constantly hear that you have to do all this tweaking?

Are they right at the factory and then during shipping and handling key components are now out of alignment?

Should I expect to buy a bandsaw (been looking at the Rikon) and have to do this and that to it?

My tablesaw has worked flawlessly for over 6 years, right out of the box. My biesemeyer fence was bloody perfect!

If one is not "highly" mechanically inclined, is there a good book or DVD that shows one how to set up these seemingly finicky stationary tools? Suggestions?

I know quite a bit about the tools that I operate in terms of how they work, but it sure seems like bandsaws have a lot of setting up and wheel aligning, shimmimg, etc....to get them to work properly.

I'm not being a whiner, just looking to make a purchase in the near future and Chris Del's post has definitely steered me away from Delta. Engineering flaw or not, if Delta can't make it work after someone puts out that kind of money, I ain't going the Delta route that's for sure. If it was designed improperly and therefore makes it difficult to work as the tool should, then Delta, in my opinion, should take care of it. Yes, I know that many of you will disagree with my logic, but that's what makes the world go around!

Any comments on these sensitive, touchy tools that we call bandsaws?

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Any comments on these sensitive, touchy tools that we call bandsaws?

Dave
    Only one: buy a Steel City!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Blog Entries
    I have a Rikon and it was very easy to dial in. Just some minor adjustments for tension and the blade guides and it runs like a champ. Keep in mind these are adjustments that are necessary when you change blade size anyway. In addition, the Rikon was named the editors choice in the last issue of woodworkers journal I believe. Almost forgot, you can cut a 12" log with no problem.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 08-04-2007 at 5:04 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I bought a new JET 14" bandsaw with the enclosed base a few years ago. Not the old blue JET, but the cream colored. I ran it for a few years and one fall I decided to try some resawing on it, so I bought a 3/4" blade for it. Well I left the blade in the saw over the winter with the tension still on the blade. When spring came around I needed to use the saw. I turned it on and heard this terrible clanking. So I immediately shut it off and started looking things over. Where the tension bolt comes in contact with the cast aluminum lever on the upper wheel axle assembley it was cracked and bent inward and was hiting the spokes on the wheel. So I ordered a new axle assembly. Well, where the old part had failed by some really strange coincedence JET had beefed it up. I'm a little upset that I had to pay for a part and shipping for something that probably should of been recalled. Here is a pic of the old part incase you didn't understand what I was talking about.

Blog Entries
    There are reports of some saws showing up with far more adjustment needed to fire them up than I think ought to exist. Others show up in pretty good shape and probably within tolerance for the manufacturer.

Blade guides, etc. are adjusted during blade changes as a matter of course. Many discussions about these should not be viewed as complaints but rather discussions on the nature of 'this' or 'that' manufacturers approach.

Wheels missing a co-planer relationship by 1/4" is a totally different story. Bear in mind that in many manufacturers minds a 14" is still a little hobbyist's tool. I imagine the $2000 and up machines arrive pretty well set up.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-04-2007 at 7:18 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    I bought a new JET 14" bandsaw with the enclosed base a few years ago. Not the old blue JET, but the cream colored. I ran it for a few years and one fall I decided to try some resawing on it, so I bought a 3/4" blade for it. Well I left the blade in the saw over the winter with the tension still on the blade. When spring came around I needed to use the saw. I turned it on and heard this terrible clanking. So I immediately shut it off and started looking things over. Where the tension bolt comes in contact with the cast aluminum lever on the upper wheel axle assembley it was cracked and bent inward and was hiting the spokes on the wheel. So I ordered a new axle assembly. Well, where the old part had failed by some really strange coincedence JET had beefed it up. I'm a little upset that I had to pay for a part and shipping for something that probably should of been recalled. Here is a pic of the old part incase you didn't understand what I was talking about.
    I'll bet you don't belong to the camp that states it is unneccesary to release blade tension on a band saw, eh?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    My MiniMax was spot on right out of the crate.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My MiniMax was spot on right out of the crate.

yep, what he said.

Like most machines, some are spot on as received and some aren't. With the better brands, I'd hazard a guess that it's more luck of the draw than QC regardless of brand, unless there's a systemic problem with the machine. It's just the nature of most complex machines where high precision is required.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    ...If one is not "highly" mechanically inclined, is there a good book or DVD that shows one how to set up these seemingly finicky stationary tools? Suggestions?...
    For bandsaws, I don't believe you could go wrong picking up a copy of Mark Duginske's and/or Lonnie Bird's bandsaw book. Both are available on Amazon for less than $14 each.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Glenn, I think that club is more worried about blade breakage than saw parts breaking. The manual that came with the saw doesn't state it, and the saw does NOT have a quick blade release either. From now on I will release the blade tension at the end of the day. But you can't get away from the fact that JET knew something. Nobody adds more material to parts just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 08-05-2007 at 4:23 PM.

My Grizz 0555 only needed very minor adjustments and it has stayed in adjustment. It is a well known fact that Delta when they first shifted mfg. to China had major quality control problems. I think for the most part they have worked through those and continue to do so. I just bought a Unisaw and the fit and finish was excellent and it didn't have the warped pieces that people talk about.

One great place to start for free is calling Iturra Design @ 1.888.722.7078. They offer a free catalog that is essentially a 14" bandsaw tuning guide.
    For the record, my Powermatic came with the Carter guides and Carter Quick Release, and has worked great for me from day one with little adjustment. In my mind, a lot of this had to do with the woodworking store I purchased it from, a local shop who's primary business is woodworking machines.
    One thing to keep in mind also is that tablesaws/miter saws, etc. are a completely different engineering animal compared to a bandsaw, with signifigantly fewer moving parts and adjustments. JMO.

I have a Canadian General 650 table saw. They are around $2500 and they are top knotch. Solid and well built with a Baldor motor. The table saw is for me, the nucleus of my shop used in every single project.
    Maybe when I set out to buy a bandsaw, I fooled myself into thinking that you can get a "top knotch" bandsaw for $1500 when in all reality I could have had 10 times the saw for a grand more. I never owned a bandsaw before so I had no idea if it would become a dust collector or an every day user.
    I should clarify that the Delta bandsaw works fine. Probably just as good as any $500 saw out there. I just expected a perfact product for what I paid and clearly it is not. One day if I come into some extra coin, I will likely buy a 16" Italian saw for resaw work and keep the delta for scroll work.

Band Saws

David,
    I own the Rikon 18" 10-345 and it required very little set up, post assembly. Make no mistake about it, band saws are more complex than your table saw. Changing a band saw blade involves several steps not necessary in many other power tools. There are some excellent books on the subject, more importantly, just take the time to understand the manual for your particular saw. Properly set up, the band saw is a remarkably flexible tool. For many Europeans, and Yanks too, it is the center of their shop. Good luck - take your time and understand what each adjustment does.