Thread: How to make a Leafed table

How to make a Leafed table

On a skill level how difficult is it to make a leafed table. Is there any articles on a how- to make the sliding system work you know of ?
    This is the picture of the table.
    Thanks

img100l.jpg

The leafs must drop in the center.

I recommend that you buy the internal sliding mechanism pre-made, and not try to DIY for that part. The rest is routine

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    I recommend that you buy the internal sliding mechanism pre-made, and not try to DIY for that part. The rest is routine
    Only place I know of is Lee Valley for that? Anywhere you know of?

I have bought two of them at Rockler. Both wood. Very satisfied.
    18th century nut --- Carl

6. Building Leafed table

Hi Craig:

I'm with Carl and Charlie and support the idea of purchasing your extension slides. But your design will dictate whether they be metal or wood or cable driven for a pedestal base table or standard pull-out.

You'll also have to decide where you plan to store your peski leaves. They always seem to be in the way. So maybe you store them in the table.

Your standard sizes for table pads are 16" and 18". But of course you can make them what you want.

Hope that get's you going a bit further.........Neil

I just build a dining table for my daughter with leaves in the middle. It had a similar design to the one you are showing. I made mine so that the legs did not move when the leaves were inserted. To accomplish this, I put a "floor" in the top that acted as a pedistal. I bought my slides from Woodworkers' Hardwars, but they are all similar. Just make sure you get the slide that do what you want. These worked together so that each end of the table extended together. I put in two 18" leaves. You can actually see a similar table with this mechanism at Pottery Barn (Conrad table). My table was 7 feet at the smallest. You will not have to worry about the stretchers which caused me some worry. Just make sure the legs are spaced so that the chairs can fit to accommodate the number of people who you want to sit on each side.