Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitting inset doors

Excellent advise, Martin!...and likely not all that noticeable from most viewing angles due to perspective. And that's why we pay you the big bucks to advise us!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"...I try to fit mine to the thickness of a dime..."

The "old carpenter" who taught me used a dime also. He felt that a penny was "too fat". He also told me that, when he was "comming up", his teachers would caution him about buying too many cups of cofee because he might not have a dime left in his pocket when he needed it......
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "...I try to fit mine to the thickness of a dime..."

The "old carpenter" who taught me used a dime also. He felt that a penny was "too fat". He also told me that, when he was "comming up", his teachers would caution him about buying too many cups of cofee because he might not have a dime left in his pocket when he needed it......
    No, I think a dime is too thick; I"m changing over to a business card thickness. Maybe a sheet of paper. Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    No, I think a dime is too thick; I"m changing over to a business card thickness. Maybe a sheet of paper. Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Well...the "old carpenter" was talking about house doors not cabinet doors.... Another woodworker I used to hang out with liked to put a slight back bevel on his inset drawer faces and doors so he could "cheat" the reveal down. You are right though...sometimes, any reveal seems like too much....
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Excellent advise, Martin!...and likely not all that noticeable from most viewing angles due to perspective. And that's why we pay you the big bucks to advise us!!
    Jim,

I am sorry, but I should have included in my original post that the advice came straight from the mouth of CH Becksvoort. I cannot take credit for another's work, and I was tired, or I would have included his name in the first post.

For the record (and I checked my notes) CHB believes in a "thin dime" on top, and "about" a penny's thickness on the bottom.

Since I heard penny on the top in the thread, I mis-remembered and recommended nickel on the bottom. At any rate, the bottom should have just a little more room for the "sag" than the top.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style