Thread: Center gauge..center finder...or center diviner...

Center gauge..center finder...or center diviner...

Been looking for the simple little device (in lieu of making it) that is used to find the exact center of a circle, i.e. end of a cylinder by locating the diameter across the circle. It is a simple jig which is composed of an acute angle whose sides have flat faces to place against the side of the cylinder. Another side bisects the acute angle, which thus defines the diameter. Marking several diameters shows a point common to all the diameters, which thus defines the center of the circle.

I have searched the web using the typical search words, but results...nada, null, zilch, zero, zip. Had need for one of these to find the center of a PVC cap, drill a hole, and make a guard for a knife steel. Now I find I need one to mark the center of chair legs, exactly since there is little margin for error, to install floor protectors.

Is there a simpler means, using only two hands, to find an accurate center on the end of a cylinder, without chucking and turning the part [tough on the rest of the chair and children run away ]?

I have a little transparent plastic do-jobbie that was meant for the job...they are available from any woodworking vendor that caters to the turning crowd. Inexpensive, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris.....I didn't know they existed until the inmates at the turning forum lathed me last year.

Here's one.... http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3046

IF you go to woodcrafts webpage......select wood turning.....then do a search "center finders"........There are steel ones there too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thats it! Think I will need to order the steel one. Still have my unbroken plastic triangles from freshman year...too many years ago to count...but they don't get much use now and are safely stored on the wall. A plastic part on my shop table would be broken in short time. Thanks again...just knew they were used and available somewhere. Should have realized that the turners would use them.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have a little transparent plastic do-jobbie that was meant for the job...they are available from any woodworking vendor that caters to the turning crowd. Inexpensive, too...
    Now Jim, don't be using those high tech terms on us old timers. The common term, I believe, is a thing-a-ma-jig.