Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Longworth chuck

new Longworth chuck

This is the first time I've used my new Longworth chuck that I built.
    Works good. (My Cole jaws will be up for sale soon.)
    I have a Corel .cdr for one that will fit a Jet mini (about 10") if anyone with a laser wants it. I'll also post some details and a pdf for using a router or scroll saw. If anyone is interested just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 08-20-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: picture needed rotating

The jaws look great. I would be interested in the details for making this with a route. Thanks.

Me too, I would be interested in the pdf file, many thanks
    Tioraidh an-drasda (gaelic for Cheerio just now)
    Colin .
    One good turn deserves another,

Longworth Chuck

Just curious, what is the advantage of the Longworth chuck over Cole jaws? I have been using the Cole jaws for a couple of years now and except for the inconvenience of having to change the button positions for various sizes it has been very useful.

Thanks,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken George View Post
    Just curious, what is the advantage of the Longworth chuck over Cole jaws? I have been using the Cole jaws for a couple of years now and except for the inconvenience of having to change the button positions for various sizes it has been very useful.

Thanks,

Ken
    The inconvenience of having to change the buttons.
    On this one you just loosen 6 wingnuts, adjust like a scroll chuck, Tighten the wingnuts, done...
    Also the black buttons on my Cole used to leave black marks which were difficult or impossible to remove. This one does not.

Here's a quick .pdf.
    Hope it's enough info.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 08-20-2007 at 6:29 PM.

Note:
    I used a laser to cut out the ply. It's not real powerful (25W) and I can just get by cutting 3/8" ply. If I used a router, I might use 3/8 for the front and 1/2 for the back to add some stiffness. However, I have not had any problems with flatness or out of balance yet. When it's tightened up it's pretty solid and flat.

Regarding the nut:
    It's got to be dead center. I drilled and taped the nut first and then aligned and marked it on the back plate using an old bolt I had as a guide. You could also turn a plug for the nut to align with a hole you drill in the rear plate. The hole then needs to be closed to provide a stop on the spindle when you mount the chuck.
    Alternatively, instead of a nut, you could make a waste block, face plate, or similar, for the back plate to mount in a scroll chuck.
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 08-20-2007 at 1:17 PM.

Jerry, thanks for the PDF. I'll have to squirrel this away for the winter.

Great looking chuck Jerry! Thanks for posting the pdf file! Been thinking of making one to handle the bowls that are larger than what the Cole jaws will handle - this should help! Thanks again!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

This old thread may be of some help. Tons of info. available for answers to questions can often be found by taking advantage of the search feature.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...worth+chuck%22 Look on pg. 2

Hope this helps some.
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 08-20-2007 at 8:20 PM. Reason: more info

It's also occured to me to make custom grippers instead of the leg tips to handle difficult holding tasks. Like special scroll sawed or routed shapes with silicone rubber sheet glued on the faces.

Excellent design, did you base this on the Woodturning Design article (Longworth Chuck Revisited) in the winter-2006 issue?

On my round-to-it list is the 6 pin Longworth chuck
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Not to be crabby, but, How do you keep the feet aliged so that the piece is centered? Looks like they act independently, not in unison like a scroll chuck does.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Bruce, those curves in the plate keep the pads concentric. All the pads move at once to keep the circlularity even. Very cool design I think. Thanks for the file Jerry.

updated pdf

I updated the pdf file. There was a typo in the detail of the gripper saying 1/2 instead of 1/4. It did say 1/4 elsewhere.

Bruce, Brett is right. The curves oppose each other and the screw is traped in the diamond formed between them. You grab one of the circles at the outer diameter on each plate and as you turn, the grippers move in or out at the same diameter. Just like a scroll chuck.

Ralph, no, it was based on and article in Popular Woodworking or American Woodworker a few months back.
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 08-20-2007 at 6:40 PM.