Thread: Rikon 14" Bandsaw Setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I do what nick does as far as guide adjustment. For the tension adjustment, isn't there a quick release on this saw? That would preclude ever having to wind the adjustment out far enough to remove it. I second a call to Rikon for clarification.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'll call Monday if I have any further problems. I think perhaps my blade might be just a bit on the long side, which puts me toward the edge of the saws adjustment range before the adjuster threads all the way out. Pure speculation though. I haven't measured and it could just be me no doubt.

Update: I installed my Woodslicer 1/2" resaw blade. Immediately realized how bad the factory equipped blade is. It's a different saw now. I don't have to jack with adjustments in search of a decent cut. Runs quite and makes smooth, consistent thickness veneer cuts. My Timberwolf blades haven't arrived yet. I think I will be happier with the saw once I have all of my new blade selection in hand. I am surprised an $800 bandsaw came with such a low end blade. I tried to cut pine, oak and plywood and it was rough. Even my Craftman/Orion gear came factory equipped with Lietz blades. I've received some PMs, so I know I'm not the only one that wonders why.

Only issue I can see at the moment, is that I can't get the blade to ride centered on both wheels. Don't know if that's a big deal or not, since it cuts fine. Making progress in any case.
    Last edited by Dewayne Reding; 09-02-2007 at 7:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Reding View Post
    I'll call Monday if I have any further problems. I think perhaps my blade might be just a bit on the long side, which puts me toward the edge of the saws adjustment range before the adjuster threads all the way out. Pure speculation though. I haven't measured and it could just be me no doubt.

Update: I installed my Woodslicer 1/2" resaw blade. Immediately realized how bad the factory equipped blade is. It's a different saw now. I don't have to jack with adjustments in search of a decent cut. Runs quite and makes smooth, consistent thickness veneer cuts. My Timberwolf blades haven't arrived yet. I think I will be happier with the saw once I have all of my new blade selection in hand. I am surprised an $800 bandsaw came with such a low end blade. I tried to cut pine, oak and plywood and it was rough. Even my Craftman/Orion gear came factory equipped with Lietz blades. I've received some PMs, so I know I'm not the only one that wonders why.

Only issue I can see at the moment, is that I can't get the blade to ride centered on both wheels. Don't know if that's a big deal or not, since it cuts fine. Making progress in any case.
    Get ready for those TW blades to be real long. I'm having to run a 3/16" PS Wood TW blade at past the 3/4" setting and it's still not as tight as I'd like. I could adjust the locknuts but since this is the last TW I'll buy I'll just not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Massingale View Post
    Get ready for those TW blades to be real long. I'm having to run a 3/16" PS Wood TW blade at past the 3/4" setting and it's still not as tight as I'd like. I could adjust the locknuts but since this is the last TW I'll buy I'll just not do that.
    I don't understand that. Suffolk (TW) has always sent me the length that I ordered. Did you order the proper length and did you double check it to see if there may have been a mistake in filling the order?

George
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers View Post
    I don't understand that. Suffolk (TW) has always sent me the length that I ordered. Did you order the proper length and did you double check it to see if there may have been a mistake in filling the order?

George
    More than one person has said exactly what Ken states. The saleswoman from Suffolk said she was unaware of any problem. I informed her there was a thread or two here on the subject. She said she would tell the VP of Suffolk and he would promptly check into it.