Thread: Dovetails in SU?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, thanks. From your message I went back and tried push/pull, and oh, so easy.

I am somewhat confused by the terminology of the spaces between the tails -- it can't be the pin because the pin is in the other board.......?

Anyway, draw the shape of the first pin in the tail piece and copy it down the board, then push to eliminate. Transfer key points from the female space with guidelines to the other board, draw the space between the pins, copy down the board, then Push into the board the required depth. It looks like the ends (the last pin) has to be manually adjusted (drawn) unless the board width has an even number of pins, properly spaced. Still, not a big deal.

Couldn't be more simple, once I was "pushed" in the right direction. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dovetail Tutorial

Looks like you are going in the right direction. I wrote this up last night - my first complete tutorial - improving my knowledge of layers and scenes dramatically in the process.

Please let me know if there are errors I didn't see or if I skipped any steps.

Dovetail Tutorial.skp
    Dovetail Tutorial
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 09-13-2007 at 3:18 PM. Reason: Uploaded wrong file
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Ken,

Glad it helped.

John,

Thanks, that gives me some ideas. I haven't used guidelines but I will start...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

John: that is a great tutorial. Your use of the scenes and layers made it especially effective. Much easier to do than I had first imagined. Chris's approach to a script driven process would be even more convenient (I think).

Many thanks for the contribution and help.

Ken