Thread: ROS needs replacing - What to buy??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have the PC barrel sander (97366) - variable speed, 6" with a dust hood on it and a hookup for the shop vac. It works very well, but it's a lot more aggressive than a 5" model. I use it to get to 180 or 220 grit, and then use a non random orbital sander to get to 400 grit, so I can't comment on whether or not it does a good job for super finish. I do know that with a clear gloss finish, it leaves little orbital hooks in the wood's surface at the 180 grit level.

it doubles as a polisher if you get the kit to use it as such, and I think it's about $150 bucks (without the polishing kit) at coastal tool. Not cheap, but nice to have. Because of its power (and because of hand planes), I never have to use a belt sander, and the initial grits (whether they start at 100 or 150) are pretty good to go through.

I like the dust control a lot - it's not as good as Festool probably, but it's nice. Well worth the extra $20 or $30, or whatever the additional cost it is for the dust hood and hose kit. I think the pad might be different, too.

Most people used to 5" sanders don't seem to like the type that mine is - the orbital motion is much wider, and the sander can "walk" on its own sometimes.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-12-2007 at 4:27 PM.