Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a jointer?

Do I need a jointer?

I have just about everything else. I am going to build some office cabinets with face frames and shaker-style doors. I figure that I can get S2S wood and use my tablesaw, router and planer to surface the wood. (I will get a jointer eventually.)

I must admit that buying wood for "nice" furniture is still the part that alludes me.

Ray, before I bought a jointer, my problem was that I could buy S2S or S4S lumber that was straight when it was milled, but not when it acclimated to my shop's climate.

It's worth a go though. For smaller pieces, maybe you'll have better luck than I did. Otherwise, work with plywood as much as possible until you get a jointer.

Ray

I do light jointing work with a straight bit and split fence on my router table. I will eventually get a jointer but for the work I do (Cabinets/Casework) a jointer is not high on my list right now.

I think it depends on how much time you are willing to spend, and how high your expectations are around quality. If funds are tight, buy a used machine from Craig's list. A quick scan of Craig's list in Phoenix suggests that you could find a 6" for around $100.

Once I got a jointer and a planer, the quality of my work went up tremendously. S4S wood is not nearly as flat and straight was the stuff I work with now. I would hate to go back.

Plus, if you out grow the $100 jointer, you should be able to get that much back selling it used..joe

If you're going to be using only plywood and MDF, you don't need a jointer.

If you're going to be using real wood, then you absolutely 100% need a jointer UNLESS you prefer to flatten your stock using handplanes instead.

I don't own a jointer. I use handplanes instead. This is because (1) I don't really want to clutter my shop with one more big machine, and (2) by using handplanes I don't worry about the width of the wood. At least once a year I think about buying a jointer anyway.

But in any case, you need one or the other. I learned the hard way that you can't work with wood that isn't flat.

Blog Entries
    It is interesting how often folks ask this. It of course depends on what you do. If you need a flat reference surface on a board to start any other activity, you need a jointer. If you can acquire flat wood that is within your tolerances, you don't. I have never found anything other than some sheet goods that was workable without establishing a flat surface. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jointer

I used to ask myself this question all the time. Since I've purchased a jointer, I use it all the time. The quality of my work has improved and the frustration of trying to fit together supposedly flat work has significantly decreased.

I'm a believer in the jointer. Not so much for edges anymore since I have a slider and can clamp down material for a great straight line cut, (and there are many ways to effectively get a straight edge) but for making sure that the components I create are flat before I thickness and dimension them.

There is a lot of work you can do quite well using 2S2 material, but as someone already mentioned, it may not be stable lumber once it's in your shop and you cut into it. Further, there can be some surprising variability in thickness with 2S2, even when buying from the same rack at the supplier. Depending on how it was milled, it may not even been flattened prior to thicknessing...again, depending on the supplier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you work with solid wood, you need to flatten it. A jointer is one way to do it (the fastest/easiest usually), as are hand planes and a sled with a power planer.

One way or another, you are going to have to flatten the wood - only you can decide how you want to do it.

I'd recommend getting a jointer. Either 6" or 8". I have one and rarely use it as I do most work by hand, but there are times when it's just the right tool.

I've just finished skip-planing the walnut for my first project, a blanket chest for our church auction. I have a DW735, but no jointer, so I built a planer sled out of MDF. I was amazed at how well it worked, and it took about 30 minutes to make.

Now if I can just find a quick and easy way to edge joint...

Need? No. Not if you are adept at and enjoy doing it with hand planes.

Two low-cost and fairly speedy options, assuming you have a power planer:

1) hand plane one face roughly flat (doesn't have to be perfectly flat, just no wobble, and make sure any twist is removed), then send the board through the planer with your roughly flat face down. The opposing face should come out perfectly flat. (an idea proposed by John White from FWW)

or 2) use a planer sled

Rob Will Guest
    Yep, you can have flat wood one day and the next day some pieces will have warped or twisted.

I think you need a jointer the same width as your planer.

Rob

You don't "need" a jointer but after you have one you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"