Thread: Hardboard Source?

Hardboard Source?

I'm having considerable trouble finding some 1/4 hardboard. I've checked with my local hardwood supplier and local Woodcraft, but noone seems to carry it. I've poked around Lowes, but nothing there either.....

Any ideas? Thanks!

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Cuneo View Post
    I'm having considerable trouble finding some 1/4 hardboard. ...
    Lots a luck!

1/4" seems to be a thing of the past around here. 3/16" all over the place along with what seems to be some funky MM thicknesses, but true 1/4" stuff seems to be getting mighty scarce.

Thought I'd hit it lucky in one of the box stores a couple of weeks ago. Saw a full rack labeled 1/4". Pulled a sheet off, the label on the sheet said, IIRC, 5.34mm. Close but no cigar. About .040" too thin. I'll accept 6 mm, if and when. It's only about .014" too thin.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

The local HD at least used to carry it. Not full sheets but 24x48 inches. I bought 30 or 40 sheets of it some six months ago to use as a backer board for custom picture frames. I still have plenty left and haven't been looking for it lately.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I could swear I saw it in full sheets the other day at HD, but I don't generally even go into the lumber area there any more, so it was a passing glance as I was navigating around a fork-lift traffic jam...

Check with your local full-service lumber yard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The 24x48 pieces my Home Depot had were not 1/4" thick--some wierd size that I didn't measure.

Lots of the thickness of sheet goods seem to be changing. I did my blast gates with 1/4" MDF a year ago. I dropped one while redoing the duct going through the multistation bench, so I got a quarter sheet of what is marked 1/4" at HD on Sat. It's less than 3/16. Took it back to the HD I got the original sheet from, and they had a mix of the same stuff, and some that was the same as my old stuff. Didn't want to totally redo the blast gate, just the broken slide.
    My hard board that I got for the bench top is 3/16", but is called 1/4. I don't know why they can't call it what it is. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.