Thread: Natural Gas Water Heater Sounds...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dennis,

What it sounds like is as you stated - condensation - but I think it's from the metal vent for the exhaust. Since it only happens when it is cold, I suspect the exhaust gases are causing condensation on the cold metal vent and running back down onto the burner. With that said, is the venting metal? And, I will hazard a guess - it runs through the wall to the outside vs. into a masonry chimney - maybe? Kinda sorta?

I think you're on the right track. But I am not sure if it is a real problem or "they all do that" kind of thing.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Wes

Water heater sounds

Dennis,
    I have always had a gas water heater and all of mine have made this sound. It is condensation. Also, if you hear it during a rainstorm, water is coming in through the seams in the pipe and dripping on the burner. Can't say it ever caused us any trouble, our heaters usually last over 15 years.
    Eddie
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP

I'll third the motion of condensation or outside water filtration. Mine NGWH has done the same before as well. I think it really only happens when we use all the hot water, but it's been quite a while since it's made the sounds, so I can't be sure. Ours is going on 9+ years old, I think (it was here when we moved in almost 8 years ago).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Wes,

Yes it is metal....double or triple wall metal pipe going through the ceiling and out the roof.....kinda like my natural gas bill with all this cold weather.!

Jason and Eddie,

Both of you make perfect sense to me and I feel better now knowing that I don't have to spend MORE money and more time on fixing or replacing another "cottin'-pickin' " water heater....

Thank you very much for the comforting news.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.