17 9.55%
  • Makes a great door stop

6 3.37%
  • What's a skew

5 2.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You use a skew??

Do You use a skew??

I just watched Richard Raffan's video on basic turning. I was very impressed with his skill using a skew chisel. I ran right out to the shop to prove I could master the disaster tool. Nope, still the disaster tool. My question is how many of you use a skew and how do you use it. Please respond to the poll, and we'll see if videos showing skew use are just done with Hollywood special effects.

Brian

I am very green at turning, only had my lathe since Aug. but I figured if the skew didn't work well they wouldn't have included it in the set of chisels I bought. Tried all the tools, (no idea what I was doing) watched a few videos from the web, OK that looks easy, went out to the shop and to my surprise using the tools as intended acually works . I now use the skew quite often especialy for finishing cuts, smoooth! I found the trick is to "ride the bevel".

Brian,

At a challenge dropped by Chris Barton, I spent several days practicing with my skew. It has become one of, if not, my favorite tool. Granted it can't be used on every project but for spindle work it can do some amazing things and leave a surface that any sanding degrades the finish!

As stated by Mike....the skew mantra is "ride that bevel!"
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Slowly using it more and more. Still a little scared of it.
    Jim

I agree with Ken, I used it to do spindle work and for finish it is parr excellence, the sharper the better it works.
    John 3:16

Hi Brian,

Yes, I use the skew and have become quite comfortable with the tool. The difference for me came when I envisioned the tool the same way I use a bowl gouge during a light sheering cut. The angle of the tool to me is the same. If you are up for trying a suggestion... try using a 3/8 gouge with a "Irish grind" for a sheer cut. Notice the angle of the gouge, the presentation, and the slicing/cutting action. Then sharpen that pesky skew and present it to the wood. Only use the bottom 1/3 to cut! Get a sharpy marker and mark the bottom 1/3 if that will help you. Envision that gouge and how it cut. Just take light cuts and build some confidence. Let us know how you are coming along. You can do this one small cut at a time. Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I use an oval skew. Mostly as a scraper. Sometimes as it should be used. It's definitely something that has to be practiced.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Two things:
    Buy Alan Lacer's The Skew Chisel.
    Buy 4 2x4s. Rip them down the middle and use them for practice. When you can get a baby's butt finish, you'll understand the skew. Alan's DVD makes it very easy to do all of this.

It's not that hard. It's just a matter of practice but using the correct techniques.

Try it. You'll like it.
    Burt

Love my skews (1/2 round and BIG one from P&N). Finishing cuts, touching up tenons for bowl mounts, recesses for same and since I don't own a roughing gouge, I use the big one for roughing spindle work. I wouldn't be without them, even though I am not very good with them (I don't get the same results as others...yet).

Steve Kubien
    Ajax, Ontario

I do mostly bowls, but I do some spindles (spurtles, basting brushes, rolling pins, potato mashers, and ocasional chair parts). I use it just enough to get the feel of it, then put it away to turn more bowls. Not very good at beads with it, but can see how it can be done. Kind of like Vince, I have learned to apply what I know about bowl gouges to the skew. Same principals, just a different tool.
    robo hippy

I use my skews for most of my outside surfaces. I feel that I have better control of my cuts than with a gouge. The tip of the skew is invaluable for detailing as well. It is the key tool for me in making the mouths of vases and the edges of natural edge turnings. Can't live without it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Back in the Creek, Wading into the Vortex...

Hello again, folks, and please forgive my extended leave of absence.

I find the skew to be an invaluable tool for crisp fillets and smooth curves, though I do have to be careful about what size skew I use. It's probably just my technique, but I've found that a 3/4" skew won't make as fine a bead or fillet as will a 1/4". Whenever I try to use the bigger one for smaller work, I just wind up shearing off more wood than I wanted to.

Oh, and is it just me, or is Mulberry a finicky wood to deal with?
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

I use it regularly if I do spindle work, however usually do not do much spindle work.
    Mike Vickery

I used to use skews for opening paint cans but now I'm beginning to learn how to use those things......Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McKinley View Post
    I used to use skews for opening paint cans but now I'm beginning to learn how to use those things......Ron
    They're GOOD for opening paint cans aren't they (till you break the edge).
    I recently had a TINY spindle job, darn near killed me with humility (I thought I was getting to be a pretty good turner).
    I am MUCH better with the skew, but still feel like a novice.
    Change One Thing