Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My NEW Unique Blast Gates

Nice system. Just curious, how are you supposed to ground plastic pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Abraham View Post
    Thanks everybody.

Don't worry, Michael, the grounding is the next step. Thanks!
    I'm not worried just want to make sure you have EYESWIDE open.
    Here is a link that goes into more detail...

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ollection.html

Some claim to never have had a problem, others have. IMHO, Is it worth the chance?

This is what I have on my CNC's. It is great to be able to unclamp anywhere when you need to reconfigure or clean out the cartridge filters behind the Cyclone.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I really liked this design and did some Sketching Up to see if I understand it fully.

Blast Gate Round Pivot 1 (1018 x 757).jpgBlast Gate Round Pivot 2 (1018 x 757).jpgBlast Gate Round Pivot 3 (1018 x 757).jpgBlast Gate Round Pivot 4 (1018 x 757).jpg

Just for fun, I tried to lay out the pictures just like in the original post. Thanks for sharing your design with us Jameel.

What kind of gasket material did you use. Is it a smooth plastic or a felt?
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 11-20-2007 at 9:05 PM.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    That is a very good question! I have read opinions to run a wire either inside or outside of the pipe. I have also read where either is ineffective. As I understand static accumulation on noncoductive surfaces, one solution is to make the surfaces of the nonconductor conductive. This could be done with metalized paint, carbon impregnated paint, or conductive solutions. Conductive solutions are stuff like fabric softener or spray static guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    I picked up a tip on another forum about using copper foil tape
    DuctRun5.jpg

Picked mine up at
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...pper_Tape.html
    There are cheaper alternatives but I'm not sure there are easier ones.
    Use the fence Luke

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    I really liked this design and did some Sketching Up to see if I understand it fully.

Just for fun, I tried to lay out the pictures just like in the original post. Thanks for sharing your design with us Jameel.

What kind of gasket material did you use. Is it a smooth plastic or a felt?
    Nice Sketchups John. I used CNC spoilboard gasketing material from All Star Adhesives. It's 1/16" thick, medium density. I bought it by the foot. It cost me about $40 for 6 gates. Not exactly cheap, but my gates are air tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    That is a very good question! I have read opinions to run a wire either inside or outside of the pipe. I have also read where either is ineffective. As I understand static accumulation on noncoductive surfaces, one solution is to make the surfaces of the nonconductor conductive. This could be done with metalized paint, carbon impregnated paint, or conductive solutions. Conductive solutions are stuff like fabric softener or spray static guard.
    Mythbusters tried this & it didn't work.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

8. Hi Jameel,

Don't know if you are still "out there", but I was wondering how those unique blast gates are working out? Any problems with clogging? Has anybody else implemented this design and what were the results?

thanks!
    mark

9. Still use them about every day and they still work and seal like the day I installed them. Very satisfied. Hank Knight just finished an install with them, and incorporated some micro-switches to turn the DC on/off. Don't have a link handy. You can search for them here I think. He may have also posted about them at the Woodnet forum.
    BENCHCRAFTED.COM