Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jig Saw Selection HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Dave does your Festool have a VS trigger? ...
    Paul - Please excuse the delay in my reply. There is a speed control on the Festool jig saw, but not on the trigger. There is no trigger - it uses a switch. The speed control is a dial on the back of the saw.

ps - It is interesting that the variable speed feature is not mentioned in the product specs on the Festool web site. I emailed Festool about this oversight.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 11-29-2007 at 2:26 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

i've got an old ryobi and calling it crap would be more than its worth. but i got it for free way back when i got the portable planer around when it first came out. so don't buy a ryobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    Paul - Please excuse the delay in my reply. There is a speed control on the Festool jig saw, but not on the trigger. There is no trigger - it uses a switch. The speed control is a dial on the back of the saw.

ps - It is interesting that the variable speed feature is not mentioned in the product specs on the Festool web site. I emailed Festool about this oversight.

No problem Dave. Thanks for the PM this thread was on page two when I came hunting it.

They really , IMO, need a VS trigger. That was one reason years ago that my first Bosch got replaced , when they( Bosch) came out with a VS trigger. Festool should step up on that.

I may try some Festool blades in my Bosch saw , a few guys seem to like them. We'll see , it would be mail order as on one here on the island stocks Festool blades.

Bosch...Outstanding jigsaw IMHO
    Jerry

I have had both the barrel and handle'd Bosch and felt that both are equally maneuverable, just different. The Festool is a quality tool from what I've heard, but I've also heard its not $300 better than the Bosch. I tried a Dewalt after my last Bosch was stolen - huge mistake. I loved it for about a day and it was all downhill from there. I just bought another Bosch a few days ago and threw the Dewalt on the scrap tool heap in the garage, which is where I'm assuming the Milwaukee would end up. You want a 100% sure bet, get the Bosch and jigsaw happily ever after.

Refurbished Bosch 1590

Bought one of these and I love it. I do not have a bandsaw and the scrollsaw is better for really thin stuff.

The refurbished is $125 at Amazon and other places.

I got the top handle after holding both, but never cut with the barrel grip.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Lee View Post
    first of all: is a barrel grip jig saw REALLY all that much better then a top handle saw? like control wise and so fourth? if anyone's used both, please shine a light...
    I don't think you ever got much of an answer and this is a bit moot but here is a significant difference, IME:

If you use a power jigsaw to cope moldings, you want a barrel grip. Much easier to maneuver through the coping cuts since most often, the jigsaw is upside down leaving you only the option of holding it by the barrel. A top handle has too much stuff in the way when holding the barrel.

If you only use the jigsaw for cuting shapes or really thick stuff, then either works fine, though I prefer the barrel grip. Having my hand closer to the work affords me better control....and you can vary that control by putting your hand closer to the blade for less control (larger, sweeping curves) or putting your hand towards the butt of the saw for more control (sharp turns and such). I found top handle saws don't give me as much room to move the hand forward and back.

I haven't used the Bosch and have a Festool. I find the switch to be much more ergonomic than the trigger...partly again because I can move my hand anywhere on the saw to control it and partly because my finger doesn't have to hold anything down, especially trying to hold the trigger at the right pull to get the speed I want. Another nice thing about the Festool is the very easily added zero clearance attachments to give you nearly chipout free cuts. These things are quite pricey given they're just a small bit of plastic....but they are well worth it when needed.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I have a Metabo barrel handle and a bosch cordless that has the handle on top. Both are very nice saws, but I find myself constantly reaching for the bosch. Both use the t-shank blades, but the blade change on the bosch is painless, open the lever and the blade drops out and you slide the new one in. Cut quality on on both is phenominal, but the ease of use with the bosch cordless just makes it so easy to pick up and work with. I dont find a significant advantage to the barrel handle over the top, and I have used the bosch for quite a bit of coping on crown molding this last year. With some fine bosch blades, its the bees knees for that job.

It looks like the overwhelming response is for the Bosch saws, and there is a good reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul View Post
    I don't think you ever got much of an answer and this is a bit moot but here is a significant difference, IME:

If you use a power jigsaw to cope moldings, you want a barrel grip. Much easier to maneuver through the coping cuts since most often, the jigsaw is upside down leaving you only the option of holding it by the barrel. A top handle has too much stuff in the way when holding the barrel.

If you only use the jigsaw for cuting shapes or really thick stuff, then either works fine, though I prefer the barrel grip. Having my hand closer to the work affords me better control....and you can vary that control by putting your hand closer to the blade for less control (larger, sweeping curves) or putting your hand towards the butt of the saw for more control (sharp turns and such). I found top handle saws don't give me as much room to move the hand forward and back.

I haven't used the Bosch and have a Festool. I find the switch to be much more ergonomic than the trigger...partly again because I can move my hand anywhere on the saw to control it and partly because my finger doesn't have to hold anything down, especially trying to hold the trigger at the right pull to get the speed I want. Another nice thing about the Festool is the very easily added zero clearance attachments to give you nearly chipout free cuts. These things are quite pricey given they're just a small bit of plastic....but they are well worth it when needed.
    I disagree, which ever saw he picks and gets used to, and all those things are do able, but again I would not cripple myself , again , (the first generation Bosch saw did not has VS triggers they had a switch ), I would hightly recommend a VS SWITCH saw with it was a barrel or top handle grip.

On another forum we beat this barrel vs top handle gig to death . It's a moot point, guys who have both swear by them , if you get without a VS switched saw you'll swear at it , IMO.

Top handle VS switch Bosch cutting upside down ( produces a splinter free / no scratch / dent face cut)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    ... I may try some Festool blades in my Bosch saw , a few guys seem to like them. We'll see , it would be mail order as on one here on the island stocks Festool blades.
    Paul - I have used both Bosch and Festool blades for several years. I stick with Festool blades now. I think the Festool blades are excellent. I have not done a head-to-head comparison though. The pricing on the Festool blades seems reasonable to me. If you buy $150 worth, shipping is free, at least in the USA - smile!!!
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    Paul - I have used both Bosch and Festool blades for several years. I stick with Festool blades now. I think the Festool blades are excellent. I have not done a head-to-head comparison though. The pricing on the Festool blades seems reasonable to me. If you buy $150 worth, shipping is free, at least in the USA - smile!!!

$150.00 worth of blades in ONE pop Dave, I'm a carpenter / cabinetmaker not a retire lawyer/ woodworker living of a fixed income

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jensen View Post
    ...The Festool is a quality tool from what I've heard, but I've also heard its not $300 better than the Bosch....
    Where do these figures come from? Since the Festool saws sell for $280, the Bosch must be free with a $20 rebate!!!

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...&prodid=561097
    Cave Creek, AZ