Thread: SawStop 26 inch or 52 inch Rails and AMPS

SawStop 26 inch or 52 inch Rails and AMPS

Hi.
    For a SawStop. Are the 36 inch rails sufficient? Or is is worth the extra space for the 52 inch rails? Unless I am mistaken, the only benefit to the 52 inch rails that I see is the ability to rip a 4x8 sheet of plywood and more space for an eventual router table. The down side is it consumes slightly more space in my garage. Ordered my saw with the 36 inch rails and for some reason, they sent the 52 inch rails. So I am deciding if it is worth the hassle to get them to exchange it to to the 36 or if I just keep the 52 inch rails and settle the minor difference in cost. So the real question is ... are the 52 inch rails more useful that the 36 inch rails?

Also, is there any compelling reason to run a 30A circuit on this thing vice a 20A? Are most folks running the 3HP version on 20A or 30A?
    Please advise.

Many thanks.
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stan View Post
    Hi.
    So the real question is ... are the 52 inch rails more useful that the 36 inch rails?

-John
    John, I think you are the only one who can answer this. Only you know what kind of projects you build and plan to build. I am limited to a 30 inch cut on my saw, and for 98% of my projects that is enough. If you have the room for the longer rails I would live with them.

I run a 5HP on a 30 amp circuit so a 3hp should do fine on 20A if that is what is available. If I were running a dedicated circuit I would run a 30 though. As far as the rails, I have a 2 car garage shop and was going to buy the 36" rails, but got a deal on the 52" and have no regrets. I recommend the 52s unless you have real space constraints.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

If they sent you 52 inch rails, use them.

If they become a pain, cut them.

Remember, you may not need all 52 inches, but I will bet you will come across sawing situations that you will use 38 - 42 inches often.

I have 52 inch rails on my saw and no it doesn't get used often, they do come in handy.

As far as the 30a v 20a, do what the owners manual recommends.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Johm,

I have 92" rails on my Incra fence, the LOML kids me that the Air Force could use it as a landing strip, but I like the space. As far as your question about 20A vs 30A, I am no sparky but my friend that wired the shop is, all three of the 220 circuits are 20A. Running a 3hp PM66 on one, 3hp Onieda on another and heat on the last.

Heather

I also wanted the sawstop with 36 inch rails, for space reasons, but that would have been a long wait so I reluctatnly got the 52's. Love the larger surface. 20 amp for my 3hp is what they called for.

Blog Entries
    Thomas is on the mark here. I find my 30" limitation to be an issue only on rare occasion. On those occasions, 36" would be more than enough (but that's me). If you plan to do a reasonable amount of large carcase work I would get the longer rails.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was going to get the 36" rails as well, as space is tight for me as well. But I knew there would be times that I would need the extra capacity. I ordered the 52" rails, and now I know that I made the right choice. Having the extra width has saved me a hassle many times, plus I use the table for assembly when not using for ripping. Keep the 52" rails you will be glad you did and it does not take up that much more space. I have 30 amp on 5hp. 20amp on 3 hp would be fine. Good Luck, Bill