Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Table Saw

First Table Saw

Hey Guys, first post here on the forum. My question is about my first tablesaw purchase. Im trying to decide between the Ridgid 3650 and the General International 50-220. I live up in Canada so our choice of brands is very limited. I live near a HD and could get the Ridgid for a good price, my only concern is that i would soon outgrow a contractors saw, i am planning to build some cabinets and an Entertainment unit here at home. Is it worth the extra money and hassle to get the General Int. Hybrid? or will the ridgid (with an aftermarket Blade) do the job just fine?

Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays.

Blog Entries
    I can't comment on the General but a hybrid or cabinet saw certainly takes up less room than a contractor saw and generally be a better saw. Having said that, there are some 'over the top' contractor saws out there that are very nice.

Many folks have the 3650 and do quite well with it. A neighbor down the street cranks out kitchens like you can't believe on one. They are very much "tract house" kitchen cabinets but the saw has never given him a bit of trouble and all he did was pick up a Freud rip and x-cut blade for it.

I have the C-man 22124 hybrid and have been very happy with it. It replaced a 1970's Emerson/C-man contractor that went to my dad. Emerson also makes the 3650 if I am not mistaken.

No hard and fast answer I guess. If I knew the General to be a solid saw I would lean that way.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-25-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Why buy a "first table saw" when you have the opportunity to potentially by your "last table saw"...go for the hybrid, even if you have to wait an extra month or three to buy it. The increase in cost is tiny when you amortize it out over many years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought the Ridgid 3650 and I believe it is a good value and one of the best of it's kind. It has met or exceeded my expectations in every way. Having said that, I will say that I am looking for a cabinet saw or perhaps a hybrid. It is very difficult to control the sawdust. That was not a priority when I bought it. The power is adequate, especially with TK blades, but I would like a more. I find myself working more and more with 6/4 and 8/4 hardwoods. The motor sticking out the back is getting to be a nuisance.

My point in all this is that the 3650 is a fine saw for what it is, and you can buy with confidence. But, you may one day want better. If you think that may be the case, then save a little more and buy one of the many favorably priced hybrids or a full up cabinet saw.

Both saws are plenty capable, and you'll have a tough time telling the cuts apart, but the hybrid by design has most of the advantages in this case.

Not having a motor hanging out the back offers many advantages... smaller footprint, better DC, more mass/stability, and a shorter drive system....which are many of the same advantages a full cabinet saw offers. In this particular case, the 50-220 actually features a dual drive stage which is said to increase torque. The 50-220CM1 has a Biese Homeshop clone, which I believe is the better fence. The 50-220 also features a digital angle readout. The 3650 will have more stock ripping capacity, but it's pretty simple to slide the front rail to the right of the GI if necessary. The 3650 also has a built in mobile base, but there are many options available for the GI, including making your own.

There's no question that I'd go for the hybrid between these two. Woodtek and Sunhill Machinery both offer a saw that has the same basic frame as the GI. One of the mags recently chose the Woodtek as their top pick. I'd also add the Steel City 35601, Jet ProShop 708482k, and the Craftsman 22124 to your "must see" list.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Emerson also makes the 3650 if I am not mistaken.
    Emerson owns the Ridgid name, but the parent company of Ryobi is now actually making the 3650....pretty much the same basic design with some different accessories and add-ons.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-24-2007 at 9:26 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The only hybrid tablesaw I would buy would be one that has cabinet mounted trunions. Craftsman and Steel City have this feature, I'm not sure if anyone else does.

I have to agree with Jim Becker. My first table saw was a Delta Unisaw that I purchased sixteen years ago. It is still my only tablesaw and, the way it continues to work, it may remain my only saw. I am one who likes to buy tools for a lifetime if possible. I do a lot of research and buy the very best that I can afford, and maybe go a little higher than I can afford if I can justify the expense.

Ultimately ask yourself if woodworking is something you think you will do for the rest of your life. That is the question I asked myself and that is why I bought a saw to last a lifetime.

Rob Will Guest

Welcome

Hi Todd, and welcome to the creek.
    I agree with other posts here......in the case of a table saw, wait a bit and buy the heaviest saw you can afford.

Many members here have had excellent results with purchasing used equipment. There is a LOT of used equipment out there and the quality can actually be better than certain new models. Before you buy, I would post the following question on the creek:

"For the same money, would you rather have a new hybrid table saw or a good used cabinet saw?"

The table saw is the cornerstone of your wood shop. Go for quality here and be done with it. I vote for a cabinet saw with a 50" Biesemeyer fence. Five years from now you will look back and be proud of your decision.

Good luck!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    Many members here have had excellent results with purchasing used equipment. There is a LOT of used equipment out there and the quality can actually be better than certain new models.
    Not sure about other areas but here in So Cal I am noticing a bunch of used cabinet saws going on Craigslist in the last week. San Diego had a bunch that I think were listed in the last few days. Maybe clearing shop for new Christmas presents? You might get a great deal on a used saw if your willing to be a bit patient and do a fair bit of looking.

Plenty of posts here about the RIDGID TS3650.

If you want a good contractors saw, most here who have one will likely recommend it (myself included).

JW

Thank you for all the replies, it looks like i will go for a hybrid. i want a saw that will last me, a table saw is an expensive purchase and i dont want to have to make it more then once in the next 10 years. As for hybrid saws, If i had my way id probably by the Jet hybrid, but being up here in canada, were very limited to what brands we can buy. In my town i have the choice of a Delta, General, or Steel City hybrid saws. The Steel city is probably the best saw, but also the most expensive, The General seems like it will fit my needs just fine, i will take a look at both before i decide.

Todd.

I've owned the General 50-220 for two years now.It's a fine saw. I don't regret the purchase at all.
    If the case arises for the need of a bigger saw. It will be a european style slider for me. I'll still keep the General though. I like it.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-25-2007 at 9:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Warren View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, it looks like i will go for a hybrid. i want a saw that will last me, a table saw is an expensive purchase and i dont want to have to make it more then once in the next 10 years. As for hybrid saws, If i had my way id probably by the Jet hybrid, but being up here in canada, were very limited to what brands we can buy. In my town i have the choice of a Delta, General, or Steel City hybrid saws. The Steel city is probably the best saw, but also the most expensive, The General seems like it will fit my needs just fine, i will take a look at both before i decide.
    Todd - Are King Industrial and Canwood saws available to you?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If I was going to do it over again, I would not have started with a contractor's saw. I would have gotten a hybrid (if they would have had them when I started ) or a cabinet saw.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

These aren't my E-pinions. I have never seen a General 50-220 so I got no thoughts on 'em.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Gene...inet_Table_Saw