Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of my little basement wood shop

Pics of my little basement wood shop

I spent the New Years weekend cleaning and rearranging some of my wood shop. I have only seen it this clean twice, the other time was when I put it in. The shop is 12 wide by 20 long, with another area on the other side of the wall for wood storage.

looking south along the west wall and bench. The wall length bench has a short stop every so often to align boards for cutting off in the antique Radial arm saw.

South end, showing a portion of the east wall.

looking north, the north half of the shop. The work bench is 2 by 4 rectangular aluminum frame with 2 4 by 8 sheets of 3/4 plywood glued together and then screwed to the frame. The legs are 2 inch square alum tubing that fold under when needed.

On the other side of the wall is a 16 foot long by about 8ft wide lumber storage area from floor to joists.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Working in a small area is a chalenge, but at least you have your wood stash out of the way. I always enjoy looking at other people's shops. Thanks for the pics. BTW, how do you like the WS3000?

amazing little machine. a real time saver. haven't done any plane blades on it yet. need to make me a little jig for it first. on chisels its WOW.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Yike! Harry..... what are all of those things with tails on them doing in your shop. Your image has been spoiled

Seriously, you have a wonderful and warm looking space to work. My shop is a little smaller at 12 1/2 X 17 1/2 so I can appreciate the challanges you face as well.

Thanks for the great pictures and a further look at Harry Strasil the neander's mentor and idol

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles View Post
    Yike! Harry..... what are all of those things with tails on them doing in your shop. Your image has been spoiled

Looks like Harry killed the one power tool on the right hand side of the last picture.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Nice comfortable shop Harry. I too am a little surprised to see power tools in there!
    Thanks for the tour.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Nice little shop you've got there. I'm jealous of your large space

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

One thing I looked for in your shop was your "junk" box of metal planes.

How about some more pics of the center of your bench. I know it is a tailed tool, but I would be interested in more pics of your crosscut/RAS (90 degrees only from the pics).

Randall, I got in trouble for posting it once before, not going to go thru that again, but, here is the original post if you are interested.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=radial
    Jr.

Junior, that's a real nice shop. Really like that Shaker style (hardware?) cabinet.

Maurice

Nice roomy place

From the perspective of my 11x11 shop, that looks right big.

I also have a basement shop and was wondering what you have done to address dust issues, being so near what seems to be heat/ac duct work. I love the shop, looks so inviting and comfy, really lived in, just has that feel that Im unable to find words for. I also really like that small tool box in the background of the third pic. I rember it form a post a whiles back. Keep the pics coming Ciao james

2.5 inch dust collection tubing kit, 4 air gates, shop vac with an old one converted to a cyclone style pre cleaner. Plus I don't do much sanding.
    Jr.

Nice shop...looks authentic....thanks for pics
    Jerry

Just surfing

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    2.5 inch dust collection tubing kit, 4 air gates, shop vac with an old one converted to a cyclone style pre cleaner. Plus I don't do much sanding.
    I thought this was the neandertal place. I am usually over in the power tool section, but I do like my planes and chisels as well, so I come over here to get good ideas on that side of things.

I thought neanders could not use power, so dust collection would be a broom and dust pan dumped into a wooden barrel.