Thread: Linen closet

Linen closet

SWMBO has ordered (and when she orders, I listen ) a built in linen closet. I will be making the interior cabinet out of 5/8 melamine over particle board. Once the closet is installed, nobody will be able to see the top, bottom, sides or back of the cabinet. My question is for the joints, do I use biscuits, screws or both. If I use screws, what kind do I need, and where do I get them? Normally for such a case, I would just use screws, but it will be a chore to get this case fit into it's final resting place, and I anticipate a little racking and flexing while moving it. I don't want the particle board to break up while I'm positioning it. In the past, any time I have used screws in particle board, the area around the screws crumbles, usually sooner than later. This is the first time I have used particle board on a project that I care about. In the past, particle board has always been relegated to something temporary, or shelves in the backyard shed. Any suggestions for a successful install? Hopefully, this will get me started, unless someone wants to come over and build it for me. What... no takers? Well, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for the help.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

As far as biscuits, screws, or both....dunno. I don't fo much cabinet work so others will be better. But if you use screws in particle board, use sheet metal. The aren't tapered like wood screws, and with a pilot hole, result in less blow out.

Smile mcfeeleys

i believe mcfeeleys sells screws especially for particle board

Confirmat screws are specifically designed for particle board, and they work very well. When I do melamine work, that's what I use. Mcfeeleys and Woodcraft sell them, and sell the stepped drill used to install them.

Confirmat is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by pappa paulie View Post
    Confirmat is the way to go
    I agree. The right type of screw goes a long way when working with composite wood.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Why not just build dividers and shelves in the closet? It'll probably be easier. Instead of building a back, you can just paint the back of the closet with a semigloss white. You won't be able to fit a cabinet into the closet that's wide or tall enough to take advantage of the entire space.

Or am I mistaken in thinking yr trying to build a cabinet to go INTO a closet? If I am, I'll remove this post.

Actually, I am trying to build a cabinet to fit in a pocket at the end of a basement hall way. The finished unit will have a melamine interior, with a alder face frame and doors. The interior case will be installed in in three pieces, because I have to deal with an uneven floor, a tight space, and also work around the heating duct work. How do I get myself into these things? Once the case is securely fitted and mounted, I'll build the face frame to fit.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling