Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Edge

Straight Edge

A good straight edge is not cheap. I was looking at this one at Woodpeckers for 89.00. I think I can get a 10% discount.

I wonder:

1. How useful is this tool. I always like to see how flat my table surface is and if I built a router table it would be nice to know how flat it is.

2. Are these things as accurate as they say?

3. Outside of not dropping it, does it remain accurate?

Anyone with experience with one?

Thanks

Steve Bolton
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are pretty decent. The straightness specs aren't quite as good as Starrett or Surburban Tool but it should do the job.

The woodpeckers straightedge is +/- .001" per foot the other ones I mentioned are +/- .0005" per foot.

The prices are about the same. I got my Suburban tool straightedges from Mcmaster-Carr.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

The Veritas straightedges seem reasonably priced. Anyone had experience with these?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

I recognize this is a stealth goate, but a freind of mine knows a machinest that owed him a favor. Ed went to him, asking him to make me a 4' straight edge. The result was a 4' X 2" X 1/2" solid alauminum bar that has some rediculous kind of flatness spec that I don't understand.

I was apreciative when I got it but was not sure how much I would use it after I got my tables flat. I wqas goiing to build a real nice box to put it in so it didn't get bent, even though it is so thick it might be impossible to damage it. I have never made said box because I use it ALL THE TIME and don't want to take the time to unpack it.

If you get one, I bet you'll use it far more than you ever thought you would.

Find a great deal and have fun... Money well spent....... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

heh heh, I dropped one of the Woodpeckers/Pinnacle straightedges from Woodcraft. It is .250" thick tool steel and it sure as hell bent in the flat direction. The edges are still pretty straight but in the other direction it is like a potato chip.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    The Veritas straightedges seem reasonably priced. Anyone had experience with these?

Thanks

Steve Bolton
    I have the 36" Veritas steel that runs about $66. I also have LV's extra long feeler gauges. I am very happy with both and you can have both for less than the Woodpecker. Not that the Woodpecker isn't nice but the Veritas is thicker and stands up on edge well and is just as accurate (a little better according to their site). Fortunately, there are many to choose from. I understand McMaster's has a good selection.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got a LV Veritas 24" on order. I can't comment on the Woodpeckers one, but all of the LV tools that I have or have seen in person are pretty nice.

Pros & Cons:
    1) Veritas one is accurate to .001" over the entire length which is more accurate than Woodpeckers' .001"/foot.
    2) Lee Valley's price is better too so you could get a 36" straightedge and a set of feelers for the same price.
    3) The Veritas doesn't have the handholds like Woodpecker.
    4) Woodpecker comes with a wall mount case.
    5) Veritas indicates that their steel has been "stress-relieved" to remain true under temperature variation. Woodpeckers doesn't say anything about stress relief.
    6) The Veritas 36"er is 5/8 thick and 1/4 thick at 24" (same as Woodpecker at 24").

IMHO a good straight edge is indispensible. I have several from different sources none absurdly expensive. I am always checking things with them since my shop is mobile in that I must constantly move tools around for use. But for me only, all those 0’s of accuracy really do not come into play after all its wood and I do not try to meet machine tolerances just those for wood. (my opinion only)
    Beware the used market on these things…….why get rid of a good straight edge unless it’s not straight…

I bought a Starrett 4' a few years ago and only recently made a nice hinged box with flocking interior. I always handled it cautiously but wanted further protection. I use it as a standard to check my other straightedges and levels and occasionally use it to check my work. Personally, I like to have my "best" measuring tools safely tucked away in drawers and boxes.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    and occasionally use it to check my work
    I don't use my fancy ground straightedges to check my work ... I would just get depressed doing that.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    I don't use my fancy ground straightedges to check my work ... I would just get depressed doing that.
    You notice how I said OCCASIONALLY? I'm too chicken to drag it out very often

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    You notice how I said OCCASIONALLY? I'm too chicken to drag it out very often

Gary
    I would probably try slitting my wrists with the damn thing.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I have one of the steel and one of the Al straight edges from LV. They are nice and I don't really have a desire to buy anything "nicer". The steel one is quite durable, but I'm very careful with the aluminum one as I had an older (thinner) aluminum LV straight edge that has so many dings in it it's useless anymore.
    Jay St. Peter

So Jay, if you didn't have anything, what would you buy now, steel or aluminum. The 38 inch aluminum from Lee Valley is 39.90.

sb

15. Question Straight Edge

Please don't pounce on me for this but I just need to ask.

Just how straight does a straight edge have to be useful in a garage woodshop?

I fully understand the need for a professional craftsman who is turning out heirlooms. I don't do that. I'm proud when I get good joints and corners that read square with my sliding t-square.

Is there a chance that a precision straight edge would improve my work? Be nice now.
    Last edited by Richard Wagner; 01-06-2008 at 6:10 PM.