Thread: Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rob Will Guest
    I have a Milwaukee worm drive and various "regular" saws. It seems that the left blade worm drive comes in handy on occasion but we do 99% of our work with the more compact regular saws.

One point to remember is that worm drive saws generally tilt forward to adjust depth. When you are set shallow for cutting sheet goods, the forward tilt makes your reach more difficult.

Before you buy any saw look at a rear tilt conventional saw and think of yourself reaching across a sheet of plywood.

Here's one example:
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=3027

Good luck with your decision
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Worm drives are heavier and more powerful than regular circular saws.

I sometimes use a homemade guide for cutting sheet goods, I like a wormdrive saw for this as the motor does not hang over the guide affecting the depth of cut.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Worm drive

Hi -

I have one of each. As stated, the worm drive is larger & more powerful. That, in itself, kind of gives you the pros & cons.

When I can use either, I prefer the smaller, lighter "regular" saw. But, when cutting panels along a strait edge in the shop, the heavy, powerful stability of the worm drive is welcome.

If choosing one, I'd get the smallest & lightest I could that would do 90% of what I use it for. Easier to transport, etc. I've seen & used $30 & $40 saws that are great. By comparison, my worm drive was almost $200.
    Daryl

Ashtabula, Ohio in the Snowbelt

I like the worm drive for longer board cuts. It tends to cut straighter, and like the above poster said, the blade is on the left side where it belongs! Easier to see when cutting for me. HD 77 comes to mind. Skill saw.

I went throught this process myself a few years back and I ended up with a WD saw. I was doing a lot of home renovating at the time and wanted the extra power. But the way it lets me split panels quickly and accurately is an unexpected bonus.

As the gentlemen before me said, it is heavier and produces more torque than a sidewinder. As with everything, there are trade offs to be had.

Good luck with your decision!

Fred