Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $750 for table saw?

$750 for table saw?

If you had $750 for a table saw/good fence what would you get? this would be used mainly to cut plywood and 4/4 stock..for cabinetry, so it shouldn't need a buttload of power but accuracy and reliability would be nice. thanks in advance!

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I would get a used unisaw.

I can't speak for others, but i got the Ridgid TS 3650. It will come in under budget and give you some room to make some extension wings. The power is decent, and i like the fence on it.

The disadvantages of it is that Ridgid doesn't make TS's as one of their main pieces of equipment, so you won't have many choices in the way of accessories (IE, you have to make custom extension wings and such, there are no factory ones).

That is just my experience. I enjoy it, it does the job, runs well, and comes with a mobile base. I can easily rip 4x8 sheets of plywood on it with rollers set up, and I am going to make some extension wings to fold up on the backside soon that will make it much easier/safer.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Grizzly. the GO478 hybrid maybe? For just a tad more.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Older high quality used cabinet saw in good shape from craigslist and a new blade or the existing blade sharpened.

I would pick a used cabinet saw (Jet, Delta, Powermatic, General), preferably from a hobbiest who is either dead, giving up, or upgrading.

I have the ridgid 3650 ($550) as well. Im pleased with it, i think youll need to spend more than $750 to get a comperable machine (new).

$750 Table Saw

Mark,
    If you're patient, you should be able to pick up a Unisaw or a PM66 for that kind of money. Check out eBay, and contact some of your local cabinet shops to see if they are planning to upgrade soon, or have already done so. There are more opportunities for these saws than most folks realize! Good Luck!
    Kurt Bird

I'd go for the Rigid. It is a really nice saw for the money with a built in mobility kit.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Those people who routinely recommend buying a used cabinet saw obviously don't live where I do. I scan Craig's lists in a 100 mile radius and several other FSBO type papers and I have seen 1 such saw for sale in 2 years. It sold in less than 1 day for more than i thought it was worth. Some folks are forced to buy new because that is all that is available.

Unfortunately, $750 is just a little bit less than what it takes to buy a good hybrid saw under most circumstances. I own and really appreciate the Ridgid TS3650. For what it is, I think it is among the best saws and values available. But, if I had it to do over, I would somehow kick in another $100 - $200 and get one of the many good hybrids for sale or save up $1200 and get a modest cabinet saw like the Grizzly 1023 series.

I hate to pile on, but I, too have the Ridgid TS3650

and really like it. I'm considering purchasing a router table insert that would work on the saw from Bench Dog (http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-0...0004908&sr=1-1).

If anyone has this already, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Depends on if you have 220v or not. If yes, them I'd look for a used 3hp cabinet saw if you can find one.

If not, I'd look at a new hybrid saw. They're the next best thing to a full cabinet saw and offer several advantages over the contractor saw design, with no downside unless you need to access the motor frequently. I like the Steel City, Jet ProShop, Craftsman, GI 50-220, Grizzly, Shop Fox, or maybe Woodtek if it's nearby. Sale prices would influence the decision some, but all should be capable of really good performance with good blade selection once dialed in. The Jet is your best bet at that price point, the 22124 gets below $800 occasionally, the new Griz 0661 with riving knife is $725 plus shipping ~ $819 to your door.

gpw-708482k%20pro.jpg
    g0661_det1.jpg
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-10-2008 at 6:13 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vaughn View Post
    If you had $750 for a table saw/good fence what would you get? this would be used mainly to cut plywood and 4/4 stock..for cabinetry, so it shouldn't need a buttload of power but accuracy and reliability would be nice. thanks in advance!
    Yep! I'd get a Jet ProShop 30, or, if I had the space a good used cabinet saw like Jesse suggests.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Factor the cost for the fence upgrade into the saw if you need to upgrade the fence. I went with a $600 Unisaw and a Shopfox 52" Biesemeyer clone. I used the Jetlock fence for a while but it was a hassle and it eventually broke in the lock mechanism after I abused it trying to get it to hold tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vaughn View Post

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    I would get a used unisaw.
    What Jesse said.........

Rob