Thread: Can I expect a Grizzly/Shop Fox BS to run Smooth?

Can I expect a Grizzly/Shop Fox BS to run Smooth?

I was talking with a fellow woodworker the other day about, what else, power tools. Fellow woodworker has a nice PM BS. When I mentioned I was preparing to buy a large Grizzly or Shop Fox BS, he cautioned I would experience rough running from those machines and that's why he went with a PM; it runs perfectly smooth.

Personally, based on what I've been reading and seeing from PM, I'm really not very impressed with "The Gold Standard". While the Rikon BS seems to be a hands-down favorite, I'm willing to compromise a little to save a few hundred bucks.

Personally, based on what I've been reading and hearing, a Grizzly/Shop Fox BS is a decent machine. I've never heard anyone mention they run rough or vibrate. So I'm asking. Has anyone experienced such problems with their Grizzly/Shop Fox BS? Do PM machines have an advantage for smooth running?

I have the 514X2 saw and it runs very smoothly. I can balance a nickle on the table when it is on.

Tom

I have a saw in that price class (Jet) and it runs smooth. It would also pass the nickel test. If you want to move up in class, the italian saws are the way to do it, not a higher priced taiwanese saw with heavy castings.

I have a Griz G0457 and it is very smooth. I also have a Ridgid BS14002 and it isnt as smooth as the big Griz, but it was 1/3 the price. The more you spend, as a general rule, will get you a better built, smoother running saw. To say that the Griz/Shop Fox saws are crude shakers, is just not true.

I've heard good stuff about WOODTEK from woodworkers supply. I’ve got an old Craftsman that I added a Jet fence to but sure would like a nicer unit also with a little more hp. I can bog mine pretty easy.

At one time many people would say that if you don't mind a little extra tinkering the Grizzly stuff is good. Lately most of what I hear about Grizzly is that it works fine with just normal setup. I think Grizzly has done alot to make great machines at good prices. I have a Laguna and wish it would run smoother so take that for what it is worth.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks for feedback. What you guys are saying confirms my initial impressions. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a BS yet, but when I do, I will probably go with a Grizzly or Shop Fox. I'm very happy with my Shop Fox jointer.

Blog Entries
    G0513X passes the nickle test no problem, even on a mobile base (when locked down).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a ShopFox W1729 set up with an Extrema resaw feeder. The only thing I would change for resawing is to switch out the 2 hp motor with a 5 hp. It works just fine for me.

Grizzly 514X

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Davis View Post
    I have the 514X2 saw and it runs very smoothly. I can balance a nickle on the table when it is on.

Tom

Same here. My 514X runs very smoothly.

I did get some vibration with a 1" blade, but it was because of an imperfect welded joint on the blade itself.

Mikail

Unless there is a defect, any band saw should run smoothly if it's tuned up and properly set up. There are certainly reasons to consider higher-end gear sometimes, but it isn't because other name brands are "naturally prone to running rough" as that fellow is insinuating. The Griz and it's white cousin have good reputations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...