Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Me wants to fight a GRIZZLY!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Me wants to fight a GRIZZLY!!!!!

So, after doing a lot of shopping around, price and product comparisons to outfit my new shop I convinced myself that going with Grizzly for most of my items would be the best option. Price and quality seemed to intersect with one another with this company.
    I shot off an email of the products I desired in order to confirm the shipping costs and they don't even ship to Canada because of a non-competition agreement with an unnamed company

Alas, here I sit, back at the drawing board. Thought I'd share my disappointment you all. What a bummer.
    Grrrr.

Maybe someone here will know what that other company is. Then you would pretty much know that it is the same equipment. Seems like Shop Fox is basically the same items, with a longer warranty? Good luck! You'll find something. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Calgary's not that far from the US. Couldn't you have it shipped somewhere and go pick it up and cart it home?

I believe BusyBee Tools is the company they have the agreement with.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/homep...=homepage2.htm

Chris is you really have your heart set on Grizzly there should be a workaround to this. Have any friends or family south of the border?

The only downside would be paying the extra freight cost of double handling. But you'll have the stuff you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bonham View Post
    Calgary's not that far from the US. Couldn't you have it shipped somewhere and go pick it up and cart it home?
    Thought of this....shipping to Montana plus box truck rental, plus gas, plus border costs or hassles....not really going to end up being that much cheaper.

I'll likely shop locally. Not a fan of what busybee sells....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Yarish View Post
    Thought of this....shipping to Montana plus box truck rental, plus gas, plus border costs or hassles....not really going to end up being that much cheaper.

I'll likely shop locally. Not a fan of what busybee sells....

I don't think shipping to Montana is an option. If I remember correctly, Grizzly won't ship to an American address if it is paid for with a Canadian credit card. They'll take Canadian cards in the store, but I don't think you can mail order with one.

If you do find a way to make it work, the border is a non-issue. I recently brought a Grizzly planer across the border and there was no trouble at all. It took about 2-3 minutes in the customs office at the border to take care of it. In the end, all you'll pay is GST and PST (which you'd be paying if you bought locally as well). The only extra costs on top of buying locally were gas and state sales tax. All in all, I was able bring home a G0453 for $950 including all expenses/taxes. Comparable units in Canada after tax start at around $1450 and go up from there. For me, it was well worth it to save the $500.

Chris,

Send a Private Merssage to Shiraz here at The Creek. He will be able to provide you with any information concerning alternatives that may be available to you concerning Grizzly Tools.

Use The Force, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Chris,

Send a Private Merssage to Shiraz here at The Creek. He will be able to provide you with any information concerning alternatives that may be available to you concerning Grizzly Tools.

Use The Force, Chris

Message sent.
    The US has long championed iteslf as the mantle of capitalism, governments have worked out free trade agreements, and consumers cast votes with their pocketbook...seems odd that these factors are all moot when it comes to one guy wanting to buy some tools.

Message sent.
    The US has long championed iteslf as the mantle of capitalism, governments have worked out free trade agreements, and consumers cast votes with their pocketbook...seems odd that these factors are all moot when it comes to one guy wanting to buy some tools.

Why do you assume that the problem is the U.S. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe View Post
    Why do you assume that the problem is the U.S. ??
    I'm not sure why you have responded to me with this question....I have nowhere stated that the "problem is the US".

I have simply expressed frustration with the fact that a guy in Canada can't directly purchase goods from an American company in spite of all the work that has been done to ensure such transactions can take place.

Found this thread....
    TOS - Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.

Which also linked ot this thread:
    TOS - Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-22-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.

I like this guy's attitude:
    Quote Originally Posted by wooden splinter from canadianwoodworking.com
    Used to tick me off that you couldn't get Griz in Canada. Doesn't any more. Rather do business with someone who actually wants to do business with me. If they don't want to sell then I can buy elsewhere.

I have simply expressed frustration with the fact that a guy in Canada can't directly purchase goods from an American company in spite of all the work that has been done to ensure such transactions can take place.
    I really fail see your point here... This has absolutely nothing to do with governments or free trade agreements. It's the prerogative of a business to do (or not do) business were they please.

While I can certainly understand your disappointment, what's the point of your original post? Or better yet, what's the intent? I think your opening post says it all "Me wants to fight a GRIZZLY!!!!!" My question is why? Is the intent to try and "force" Griz to export to Canada through pressure via an on-line forum? Or maybe to just deride a company who’s business model you’re not happy with? What’s the intent of your "fight" here?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    I really fail see your point here... This has absolutely nothing to do with governments or free trade agreements. It's the prerogative of a business to do (or not do) business were they please.

While I can certainly understand your disappointment, what's the point of your original post? Or better yet, what's the intent? I think your opening post says it all "Me wants to fight a GRIZZLY!!!!!" My question is why? Is the intent to try and "force" Griz to export to Canada through pressure via an on-line forum? Or maybe to just deride a company who’s business model you’re not happy with? What’s the intent of your "fight" here?

Mike
    Well Mike, the heading was catchy. There were likely thousands of different permutations and combinations I could have chosen, instead I settled with "Me wants to fight a grizzly".

The more erudite SMC members may have opted to read my initial posting where I simply lamented the fact that Griz did not ship up north, and that I was "sharing my disappointment" with them. The content of the post should have been more of an indicator of my intentions than the thread title....

What was revealed to me in this thread, elsewhere in these fora and the internet, was the fact that Grizzly doesn't ship to Canada for any other reason than a family member owns a "competing" (in quotes because it has become quite clear that there is no parity between the quality of BB and Griz machinery) company and doesn't want to affect their business.

So, you are asking a multi-pronged question. I will do my best to respond and perhaps elucidate what I can.
    The point of my original post was to express to a community of woodworkers my disappointment in Grizzly's sales policy vis a vis Canadian sales.

My intent, although not expressed, was likely to have similar experiences revealed to me....and perhaps, ex post facto, I wanted to publicy express my feelings toward this policy in hopes that the policy would be revisited.

I am of the opinion that consumer demands drive the market....public outcry often drives policy etc. I have written a brief PM to Shiraz and sent an email to Grizzly informing them that my money will be spent on Grizzly machinery or something that is not Busy Bee.

Not that I really have to justify anything here, but that about sums it up. Hopefully there are more consumers willing to say "I have money for your company, if you don't want it, I will spend it elsewhere..." With an impending recession looming over the US, and an inferior family product being peddled up north, perhaps policy will change. If it does, cool. If not, I did my part.