Thread: Jackpot!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Jackpot!

I work for a real estate company, and being the developer I was improving a piece of property the other day. It had an old shed that was about 30 ft wide and 50 feet long. When the excavator man removed the top of the building I noticed that the floor was supported by nice red oak boards. So as he removed material I grabbed a bunch up and put them in my truck, roughly totaling 160 board feet! Most are 9 inches wide, almost 8/4, and most are 10 feet long. Last nice I started to square up the almost 40 year old wood, and it is looking good. These will sure come in handy for the workbench I am getting ready to build. This is the first time I have worked with rough sawn wood, if any one has any tips I sure would love to hear them. Thanks.

What wood? I don't see no wood!

This alleged score is pending investigation

NO PICS, DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I will try to get you some pics I piled it in my detached garage behind my house, I was really surprised how big the stack was when I unloaded it!

Yep, that's me-Day late,Dollar Short
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Not knowing the history of the boards it might be a good time to get a metal detector if you don't have one already. Don't want to come across any surprises with a valueable saw blade or planer/jointer knife.

Congrats on the score,

Dave

Nice haul! You'll most likely need the aid of a jointer for face-planning and a planer for the other face...and then a jointer to get a square edge...then a table saw to rip the other edge. Presto, S4S!

You could also neander it with handplanes or find a local shop to mill up the wood for you if you don't have the big equipment.

You may want to resaw it to 4/4 or 5/4 as well so a bandsaw will be needed for that.

Good Luck...post some pics!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ditto on what Dave said. If there is any buried metal in there, it could turn out to be a very expensive haul in terms of ruined blades or knives. Great find! You did well.

I'm sure that I don't have to tell ya to wear gloves. SPLINTERS!!!!!!!, and yes, you will need to plane, straight line, edge joint, blah, blah, blah.
    That being said, I can come get that stuff off your hands, and ya won't have to worry about all those details. Or better yet, just bring them on down to Mississippi. It's not that far.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    Ditto on what Dave said. If there is any buried metal in there, it could turn out to be a very expensive haul in terms of ruined blades or knives. Great find! You did well.
    Ditto here. I have a brand-spanking new Forrest WWII to replace the one that had nothing worng with it .... until I hit a piece of metal.

Nice score by the way.

Luckily I just got a planner, and a jointer several weeks ago. These will come in handy. I was pulling nails out the other night and made sure there was no metal in the edge before I sent it over the jointer. I plan on using a metal detector.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...5/P2010025.jpg
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...5/P2010024.jpg
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...5/P2010023.jpg

Congrats on such a great find!!!!!! That is nice!!!!!!!!!!
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

A little update on the haul!! The wood I scored is really nice I am quite surprised, and I had someone tell me that the building is at least 60 years old when we torn it down. I currently have all four of my new workbench legs laminated together to make 3.5 square. It is a real joy to take a rough sawn and get it to a perfect S4S, especially the wood being so old. The wood also has some glitter like or little specs that sparkle in the grain does any one know what those are? I thought it could be metal shavings but I doubt that is what they are. Thanks.